Fresh fears have been raised over the potential poisoning of pets in Glasgow parks.

Dog walkers have been urged to be vigilant after a series of potential incidents involving chicken which may have been laced with rodent poison.

In the latest incident a dog walker spotted their animal was just about to eat a piece of chicken found in Maxwell Park in Clarkston but luckily the owner had spotted the chicken was badly discoloured and ordered the pet to leave it alone.

The lucky escape follows earlier reports of suspected poisoning in Queen’s Park in the city’s South Side and also reports have emerged to say it may have also happened in Linn Park.

READ MORE: Glasgow dog owners to be fined £80 if they don't clean up after their pets

The community Facebook page Your Clarkston has now warned its followers to be on guard after a concerned local contacted them to warn others.

A post published on the page said: “We were walking our dog in Maxwell Park when he pulled a whole discoloured chicken from the bushes.

“Thankfully he dropped it on command before he could eat it. The whole time we were being watched by someone in a car. We took photos of the car and number plate, and immediately reported it to the police.”

The post added: “Please be vigilant as we also had reports last week of chicken laced with poison left around Linn Park.”

The Evening Times previously reported that a Jack Russell ate chicken which had been laced with what it is feared could be rat poison at Queen’s Park.

The young male dog was rushed to the Pets ‘n’ Vets surgery at The Roundhouse Vet Hospital on nearby Cogan Road on Thursday, March 17.

Ross Allan, a partner at Glasgow firm Pets‘n’Vets, urged dog owners to be on the look out for poison-laced food.

He said: “We are currently treating a dog that has ingested what appears to be chicken laced with a blue substance it found in Queen’s Park. We are concerned that this might be rat poison.

“Fortunately, the dog in question does not currently appear to be in grave danger, though we will not know for certain for the next three weeks. In the meantime, we would urge dog owners to be vigilant when walking their dogs in Queen’s Park and surrounding areas.”

Owners have been advised to keep a close watch on their pets if they fear they may have eaten any toxins.

Symptoms to look out for include loss of appetite, impaired movement, paralysis of the animal’s hind limbs, slight muscle tremors, generalized seizures and a depression of the central nervous system.

Eating large amounts can cause a sudden onset of muscle tremors, and even seizures. The symptoms are usually seen within two to seven days of ingestion but it is possible that signs will not develop for up to two weeks.

In some previous poisoning cases the meat has been left in tennis balls specifically cut open to hide the poisoned chicken.

Police advised any dog walkers who may have concerns to contact 101.

READ MORE: Glasgow dog owners to be fined £80 if they don't clean up after their pets