A PASSENGER was fined in court after an offensive slur saying a bus driver had a “bomb on him”.

Hugh Stewart was in the dock after he caused a rammy on a bus because no one would join in on his Christmas carol singing.

 Stewart, 49, of Peat Road, appeared at Glasgow Sheriff Court this week for sentencing after his attempts to spread festive cheer failed.

The procurator fiscal depute told the court that Stewart and a group of men had got on the Penilee-bound 9A First Bus at Morrison Street in the Tradeston area of Glasgow at around 8pm on December 20.

The group of four men sat near the front of the bus and began singing Christmas carols.

The procurator fiscal depute explained that it became clear that the other passengers did not want to sing with him, and he shouted: “You are all f**king Muslims.”

The court heard that there was an off-duty Asian First Bus driver on board who had been chatting with his colleague, who was driving. 

The man was in his First Bus uniform but was not working during the incident.
Moments after the comment was made, Stewart made eye contact with the off-duty First Bus driver, and a verbal altercation took place.

Stewart suggested that the off-duty bus driver was in possession of a bomb and the victim challenged him over this.

Stewart stood up and attempted to assault the off-duty bus driver by punching him on the face.

At this point, the off-duty bus driver landed a punch on Stewart’s eye socket.
Stewart retaliated and manage to land several punches on the off-duty bus driver’s face before forcing his way off the bus with his friends.

The court heard that CCTV footage of the incident had been seized by the police who later put out a media appeal to find Stewart.

The Evening Times published that appeal in our newspaper and on our website back in April 

The court heard that an anonymous call was made to police identifying Stewart as the man in the image on April 12. The procurator fiscal depute told the court: “Police attended the home address of the accused in April.

“Police were able to identify  him from the CCTV footage. He was cautioned and charged.”

Stewart’s defence agent told the court his client is a hard-working man with family responsibilities. 

He said he had met up with friends on the day in question to go for a drink.
He said his client normally doesn’t drink and he is “extremely ashamed” of his behaviour. 

His defence agent explained that his client came off worse with “quite a serious eye injury”.

His defence agent said to the sentencing sheriff during mitigation: “He has indicaTed he would offer compensation to the victim.”

The sentencing sheriff fined Stewart £500 for the incident.

He was told £200 of that money will be compensation for his victim. 

Stewart was also told that must pay his fine back at a rate of £20 per week.