POPULAR South Side resident Kebabish has been hit by fire.

Fire crews are currently at the scene of the Indian restaurant on Victoria Road, in Govanhill.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said 12 appliances are currently at the scene.

A man and two women have been taken to the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital.

Locals reported smoke could be seen as far as Pacific Quay this afternoon.

Austin Sheridan, former SNP councillor tweeted: "Bad Fire at Kebabish on Victoria Road in Govanhill. Staff had to break down close door next to it to warn residents of fire.

"Smoke everywhere. Close your windows Govanhillians!"

The Scottish Ambulance Service is also on the scene as fire crews work to douse the flames. 

Homes above the restaurant have been evacuated and residents were seen being rescued by ladder. 

Victoria Road is currently closed to traffic at Cuthbertson Street and buses and other vehicles are being diverted. 

One local resident, aged 39, said: "This is a terrible shame. Kebabish is such a popular restaurant and always full with families. 

"It will be sorely missed if it can't reopen. 

"We have had nothing but bad news in Govanhill recently." 

A Fire Service spokesman said: "The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is currently in attendance at a large fire that has taken hold within a restaurant and is now affecting flats.

"Operations Control mobilised a total of 10 appliances as well as two aerial platforms after the alarm was raised at 2.45pm.

"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus are tackling the flames using high powered hoses."

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, who is the local MSP, said on Twitter: "My thoughts with those affected by the fire at Kebabish in my constituency. @GovanhillBaths is open for anyone needing immediate shelter. Anyone who needs my assistance should get in touch in the normal ways."