LOCALS have told of their horror as fire engulfed a popular South Side restaurant.

A staff member from nearby Govanhill Baths told how he went round doors warning people to get out as fire ripped through Kebabish.

From a small kitchen fire, flames quickly reached the flats above the Victoria Road curry house causing homes to be evacuated.

Residents were seen being rescued through the windows of their homes by fire fighters using ladders.

The Scottish Ambulance Service said one man and one woman were treated at the scene.

Others were helped thanks to the quick thinking of former Glasgow City Councillor Austin Sheridan, who is now administrator at Govanhill Baths.

Austin spotted smoke coming out of an area behind the Baths and ran outside to see where it was coming from.

He bumped into a CID officer who happened to be passing the scene and the two realised the smoke was coming from Kebabish.

As he went into the restaurant, he said, the chef ran screaming through shouting "Fire, fire".

Austin said: "We said we're going to have to alert residents of a fire because of where the chimney was positioned and people were living so went in there and chapped all the doors and told them there was a fire and thank goodness we did because when I was there the fire wasn't that bad there wasn't any fire in the front of the restaurant but the flames engulfed it really quickly and subsequently spread into flats above.

"Since people can't get into their flats here at Govanhill Baths we have opened our doors until people can find out what the future of the flats will be."

A Police Scotland spokeswoman confirmed officers were on the scene after calls came in at 2.45pm.

Victoria Road was partially closed, causing diversions for buses and other traffic, as residents stood to watch the drama unfold.

One local resident, aged 39, said: "This is a terrible shame. Kebabish is such a popular restaurant and always full with families.

"It will be sorely missed if it can't reopen.

"We have had nothing but bad news in Govanhill recently."

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service confirmed 10 fire appliances and two aerial appliance were at the scene, near the junction with Kingarth Street.

Emergency services were still at the scene last night as the fire was dampened down.

As homes were evacuated, residents collected in Govanhill Baths for tea and biscuits while waiting to find out the extent of damage to their flats.

It is not yet known how many properties are affected.

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is currently in attendance at a large fire that has taken hold within a restaurant and is now affecting flats.

"Operations Control mobilised a total of 10 appliances as well as two aerial platforms after the alarm was raised at 2.45pm.

"Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus are tackling the flames using high powered hoses."