A CARE worker with 15 years of experience died on her way to work in the midst of the Beast from the East storm.

It is believed Elaine McNeill was found in the snow on Kippen Street on Wednesday morning after she had taken ill.

It is understood that her manager did a search on her phone after she had not heard from her and the alarm was raised.

Elaine was carrying out her duties as a home carer for the firm in the North Glasgow area.

Read more: Tragic care worker's message to friends

One colleague said: "I can't believe it. She was young and such a lovely person.

"My heart goes out to her husband and kids."

Glasgow Times:
Cordia at Borron Street, Glasgow

Another told the Evening Times: "We are all in shock and can't believe what has happened."

Elaine was found as temperatures plummeted across the country to below freezing and a red warning was issued by the Met Office.

Police Scotland, however, said they attended a report of a woman having fallen ill on her way to work.

The force said they were treating the death as unexplained. 

Cordia paid tribute to their popular member of staff and reinforced that they were working with the authorities to establish the circumstances surrounding her death.

A spokesman said: "We are shocked and saddened to hear about the death of Cordia employee, Elaine McNeill in the Milton area of Glasgow.

"Elaine worked with Cordia for 15 years as a popular and valued member of our Home Care team.

“We don’t have any further details about the circumstances of the incident but will be working with the authorities.

“Our thoughts are with her family at this time.”

Read more: Tragic care worker's message to friends

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “Around 9.40am on Wednesday 28 February 2018, officers were called to a report of a woman taken unwell in Kippen Street, Glasgow. 

“Police and ambulance attended however the woman was pronounced dead at the scene. 

“Officers are dealing with the incident and a port mortem will taken place in due course to establish the exact cause of death, however the death is currently being treated as unexplained."

Read more on The Evening Times: