A GOVAN man who overindulged on alcohol during an Old Firm clash found himself locked up for biting a British Transport Police constable’s knee.

Gordon Rose, 34, chomped down twice on his victim’s leg after he was pulled up during an argument with door stewards outside The Louden Tavern in Copland Road. 

It was around 4.10pm following Celtic’s 2-0 win over rival Rangers last September when the accused was overheard getting mouthy with the bar’s bouncers.

Two BTP constables at a nearby subway station intervened, to which Rose turned his attention and anger towards them.

At Glasgow Sheriff Court, Rose pleaded guilty to assaulting the BTP constables at Ibrox subway station on September 23, 2017. He admitted attempting to strike one on the head and kicking him, as well as repeatedly biting the other.

Neither victims required medical treatment.

Defending, Miss Terrance agreed that her client’s “behaviour was unacceptable”.

Sheriff Linda Ruxton voiced her anger at the accused’s attack.

She stated: “Repeatedly biting someone – what on earth was he doing?”

Miss Terrance stated that Rose chomped on the constable’s knee twice.

She claimed that the accused, of Crossloan Terrace, has since accepted his alcohol problem and was currently trying to turn his life around.

Rose, who had been out of trouble for quite some time, was said to have complied with a court-ordered curfew and recently gained seasonal work as a landscape gardener.

Sheriff Ruxton described the accused’s behaviour as “absolutely unacceptable”.

As a direct alternative to custody, Rose was sentenced to a Community Payback Order with supervision for a year and 180 hours of unpaid work to be completed within six months. He was also ordered to attend alcohol counselling as directed by his supervising officer.

Following the conclusion of the case, a BTP spokesperson stated: “This man’s behaviour was shocking – he assaulted a police officer who was simply doing his job keeping people safe travelling to and from the football match.

“No one should be assaulted for simply doing their job. We will not tolerate assaults and violent behaviour such as this and we’re pleased to see that the man has been brought to justice.”