It was over in seconds. A black Ford S-Max pulled up alongside a silver BMW waiting in the dark for the lights to change. From the passenger seat of the Ford, a figure jumped out, ran round to the side of the other car and fired a volley of shots from a handgun through the side window, before jumping back into the people carrier which then roared off before the red had turned to green.

Inside the BMW everything was splashed in red. The passenger had been hit several times, the driver, a young woman who had given him a lift, was splattered in blood. The victim was shot up to six times but, despite the wounds, Kenny Reilly managed to hang on for two days before he died. The woman driver remains traumatised following the attack on April 16.

Reilly, 29, was a major drug dealer who had allegedly welched on debts. He was an associate of the Daniel crime family who have been at war with rivals the Lyons family for two decades over the control of Glasgow’s drug trade.

Reilly had been living in fear for his life for almost 18 months, since his best friend and business partner Euan Johnston was shot dead in almost identical circumstances. The only differences were that the 29-stone Johnston, known as EJ, was driving his car when he was shot at traffic lights, and it was on the south side of Glasgow, not Maryhill in the west of the city.

Watch: Chilling moments hitman David Scott stalked Euan ‘EJ’ Johnston for an HOUR before brutal murder

Reilly had been told his life was at risk – he had received a so-called Osman warning by police that they had intelligence that he was a target. The warning is named after Ali Osman, a London businessman who was shot dead by a teacher from his son’s school. The family successfully argued in the European Court of Human Rights that the Met breached his human rights by not acting on information they had. Following the case police throughout the UK introduced these warnings.

Reilly had tried to take precautions. He drove a borrowed armoured car with toughened ballistic glass and fitted metal plates (allegedly loaned to him by crime boss Steven “Bonzo” Daniel). But on the night he was shot he accepted the lift in the BMW, a decision which cost him his life. The assassin’s car, the Ford S-Max, was found burnt out hours later in nearby Craigieburn Gardens, between the River Kelvin and Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception Catholic church.

Police revealed last week it had been stolen almost a month earlier in Giffnock and that they had “captured forensic evidence” from the car, which is usually code for a sample of DNA.

The shooting of Johnston had a profound effect on Reilly, and not only to put him on guard. He told friends he was “devastated by it” and “would never get over it”, although there may well have been an element of self-interest.

Johnston was awaiting trial, accused of supplying £640,000 of heroin, when he was shot and killed. He was tracked from the Red Pepper restaurant in St Andrew’s Drive – where he ate his last meal with a henchman shortly before midnight on Tuesday, November 16 2016 – and was shot by a gunman as he sat in his Audi RS4 car in Scotland Street, near to Shields Road subway station. Two men, Anthony Ruthven and David Scott, were charged with his murder.

Watch: Shocking moment wanted gangster leads police on high speed chase through Glasgow

CCTV footage of two men trailing Johnston was shown in court. However, the Crown dropped charges against Ruthven when a principal witness, said to have learning difficulties and be illiterate, did not corroborate in court a statement he had given to police. He had claimed to have heard Ruthven say: “Bang. I nipped that EJ. We pulled up at the traffic lights and I f***ing shot him. I was sitting in the back passenger seat and I put the window down and done him.” Scott, however, was found guilty last week and sentenced to 22 years.

Both Reilly and EJ were tied through business links to the Daniel family, buying and selling in the Glasgow drugs trade.

As such, they were central to the feud between the Daniel and the Lyons that resulted in a series of bloody murders and savage attacks.

Two days before Reilly’s shooting an imprisoned heavy of the Daniels, Martyn Fitzsimmons, was badly slashed in Low Moss Prison, Bishopbriggs.

The ex-Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders soldier stole a weapons cache from an armoury in Canterbury and supplied them to the Daniels, to their main enforcer Kevin “Gerbil” Carroll. He was jailed for 12 years.

He was again jailed on a reduced charge after pleading guilty to having a Glock handgun and £36,000 of dirty money. He had originally been charged with shooting and wounding Lyons enforcer Ross Monaghan, but this charge was dropped.

Similarly, Monaghan also had charges against him dropped over the murder of Daniels man “Gerbil” Carroll. The murder weapons – a pistol and a revolver – were found by six council gardeners behind Coatbridge library 13 days after the shooting in 2010. They allegedly passed them around using wet gloves.

READ MORE: Euan Johnston shooting: Man found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison

A small amount of Monaghan’s DNA was found on the pistol but forensic scientists were unable to say how it got there. A single particle of gunpowder residue on Monaghan’s jacket was deemed to be “of no evidential value” by the judge and he walked free.

In one of the many bizarre twists in the trial the jury heard from Francis “Fraggle” Green – the son of then gang boss Jamie Daniel and brother of Carroll’s partner – that he ate his own Sim card to stop police accessing it and took the murdered man’s phone from his dead body before police arrived.

Jamie Daniel died from cancer in 2015, creating a power vacuum that rival gangland figures, have attempted to fill every since. It is the struggle for succession which has led to blood on the streets of Scotland's largest city - a city that thought it had left its gangland past behind.

Glasgow Times:


1991: The feud begins after Daniel enforcer Kevin “Gerbil” Carroll, pictured right, allegedly vandalised the grave of Garry Lyons who had died of leukaemia.

December 2006: Carroll is shot in a drive-by attack, together with associate Ross Sherlock. Both survive.

December 2006: Lambhill, Glasgow, Applerow Motors, owned by David Lyons. In response to the Carroll shooting, two men in long black coats, wearing masks and holding handguns walked on to the forecourt and started shooting. Lyons’s 21-year-old nephew Michael was killed, his cousin Steven was badly wounded, as was Robert Pickett, known as Piggy. Two Daniel gang members, Raymond Anderson and James McDonald, were sent down for 30 years.

January 12, 2003: Carroll is shot dead in the Asda car park in Robroyston.

January 13, 2010: Seven years and a day after the Carroll murder, Lyons heavy Ross Monaghan is charged with killing him. The case later collapses.

September 2016: Ross Sherlock is shot and wounded at a school in Bishopbriggs while picking up his child.

November 2016: Euan “EJ” Johnston is shot dead as he waited in his car at traffic lights in Scotland Street.

January 2017: Ross Monaghan is shot and wounded at a Penilee school as he delivered his child.

March 2017: Robert Daniel is shot outside his house in Stepps. He survived.

April 2018: Kenny Reilly is shot as he sat in the passenger seat of a silver BMW in Maryhill, Glasgow, later dying in hospital.