History was made here at Hampden. It may have been Celtic’s 38th Scottish Cup win but it completed a first double treble.

A brace of first half goals from Callum McGregor and Olivier Ntcham put Brendan Rodgers’ side on their way and left spirited Motherwell with the kind of exhausting, demanding road back that was longer than the train on Meghan Markle’s dress.

This was a performance of total authority from Celtic and McGregor, in particular, put in a super shift of industry and invention. Motherwell may have lacked the guile of of their opponents but they made up for it in dogged effort even if their up and at ‘em approach almost became too narky at times. Poor Kieran Tierney probably has ‘Made in Motherwell’ stamped on his feet and shins after taking a few painful dunts. The celebrations of an historic treble will have soothed the aches and pains.

Read more:  Champions! How Celtic rated v Motherwell​

There was colour and cacophony as the clock tick-tocked towards the kick-off. Motherwell were looking to roll back the years to 1991 and there were plenty of retro, Ian Skelly-sponsored tops from that cup-winning year being sported. You half expected the Hampden car park to be full of J-reg Volkswagen Polos too.

The general pre-match racket was cranked up a few notches by the bellowings of the legendary boxing announcer, Michael Buffer, who brought a bit of Las Vegas, big fight razzmatazz to Mount Florida as he roared his lungs dry with the team announcements. Never has the name Deimantas Petravicius sounded more rip-roaring.

Seconds away and all that. Cedric Kipre landed an early blow on Tierney which left the Celtic man clutching his ankle as proceedings began at a fairly boisterous pace. The cup holders were swiftly on the offensive but Motherwell got stuck in too as they tried to repel the early Celtic salvos. The burly, battling Curtis Main showed his intent as he got the better of a tussle with Kris Ajer near the box which prised a menacing opening but eventually came to nothing.

Read more: Scottish Cup final: Motherwell ratings​

At the other end, Tom Rogic birled himself into a shooting position just outside the area and unleashed a searing drive which zoomed past the post. It was an ominous sign for Motherwell as they tried to keep Celtic at bay for as long as possible. They only succeeded in that particular task until the 11th minute as the Scottish champions forged ahead in fine style. Tom Aldred’s headed clearance was pounced upon by the advancing McGregor and he cracked a superbly struck half volley high into the net. It was an execution of terrific poise and power.

Buoyed by that early breakthrough, Celtic came charging forward with purposeful abandon and their surges and thrusts had the Motherwell defenders careering around in a quite dreadful haste. Moussa Dembele was presented with a good chance to double the lead on 15 minutes but his snap-shot from 10 yards flew over the bar.

Ten minutes later, Dembele played his part in Celtic’s second goal. A tidy move led to him laying the ball off to Ntcham and he was given space to rifle a low drive into the bottom corner. The aforementioned Buffer may have been asking officials if Motherwell should throw in the towel but the Steelmen countered immediately. A nice back heel from Ryan Bowman opened things up for Main but he curled his shot over the bar. It was a big, big opportunity which have to be seized at this level.

Read more:  Champions! How Celtic rated v Motherwell​

Motherwell had their moments as the half neared a conclusion while Tierney took a couple of sore ones, with Liam Grimshaw going in the book for a hefty clatter on the besieged Celtic full-back.

The men from Fir Park emerged from the resumption on the front foot and Main had a shot turned over the bar by Craig Gordon. Celtic were still full of drive and danger, though. Dembele had Trevor Carson fumbling at a near post prod while the Frenchman’s leaping header was brilliantly palmed away by the Motherwell custodian.

At the other end, Chris Cadden's run into the box was illegally halted by Dedryck Boyata and from the resulting free kick, Gael Bigirimana rattled the bar. Cadden then had a header which Elliot Frear was only inches away from diverting into the net as the Lanarkshire side fought admirably to the last kick.

Those moments got the Motherwell fans on their feet. In the end though it was the Celtic supporters who were rising to salute their history makers.