POLICE Scotland have completed their investigation into the fatal fire at the luxury Cameron House Hotel last December and handed the building back to its owners.

However, the Crown Office is now believed to be considering a bid to charge the Loch Lomond hotel's owners with corporate culpable homicide, after two men died in the blaze.

Simon Midgley, 32, and Richard Dyson, 38, died when fire tore through the 18th Century building just before Christmas.

Mr Midgley, a travel journalist and PR manager, and Mr Dyson, a freelance TV producer, were on a winter break in Scotland, but the couple, who lived in London, are understood to have been trapped as the fire devastated the upper floors of the hotel.

One of the men was pronounced dead at the scene and the other died later at Paisley's Royal Alexandra hospital.

More than 70 firefighters battled blaze which broke out in the early hours of December 18th last year and 200 guests had to be evacuated, many in bathrobes, including Andrew and Louise Logan and their baby Jimmy – who were all rescued by ladder from an upstairs window.

However questions are since understood to have been raised about the effectiveness of evacuation procedures.

Simon Midgley's mother Jane, of Nottinghamshire, has previously queried why her son and his partner were unable to escape the hotel and complained about the length of time the investigation has taken. She said "My heart is absolutely broken. I have hundreds of questions I want answering".

Due to the damage caused by the fire and the subsequent weather conditions last winter, police were unable to access the site to investigate for 14 weeks.

Nine luxury bedrooms at the hotel are understood to have been lost completely while more have suffered major damage. The owners of Cameron House have said a "careful and sensitive" restoration project will be carried out with the aim of reopening the hotel in Autumn next year.

However there have been warnings that hundreds of jobs could be lost at the Hotel in the interim.

Soon after the fire First Minister Nicola Sturgeon told the Scottish Parliament that the government would learn any lessons that emerged from the investigation.