I got into trouble in 1983 and have a criminal record, albeit for one minor offence. Could that old case be dragged up, say if I am going for a job or joining a golf club? I am respectable and would not wish a tarnish on my name from some busybody.

Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act, most agencies and companies are not entitled to know about spent convictions. There are various rules and time limits, but a minor offence from 1983 would be long spent and can remain hidden – unless you were going for a job in certain key areas of care or justice where the time limits don’t apply.

My dog bit a neighbour’s young daughter on the leg. The parents came round and although it was clear that my dog is not dangerous as such – the child from next door was actually throwing stones at it – they are really angry and won’t listen to reason. Can they claim against me as the dog owner?

Either the parent can claim on their daughter’s behalf or she can claim (you don’t say her age and this matters). You as the keeper or owner of the dog have strict liability for appropriate compensation in this event. However, such a minor injury would get hardly any financial recompense – we don’t have punitive awards and all awards are based purely on the extent of injury and suffering.

In April 2016 I tripped on a pothole crossing the road. I was injured, and though I healed up, I still get pain. I wrote to the council involved and sent photos, but they said the state of the road was fine. It has not been fixed and is still a hazard. Where do I go from here?

Trip and slip claims can be difficult to establish, as The law requires everyone to take care and look where they are walking. The matter depends on how deep and wide the gap where you fell is, and whether the council had a system for checking and repairing pavements, and stuck to it. My strong suggestion is that you see a claims solicitor for a more in-depth assessment. And watch out for the three year time-bar. You need to make enquiries with a lawyer NOW.

I recently bought a newly built house but the workmanship is poor.. The workmanship is poor , with cladding dislodged, paint peeling and brickwork exposed. Although the builders have given me verbal assurances the work will be remedied, it still isn’t in acceptable condition two months after move in. Is there any legal route I can go to ensure repair is speeded up?

Threaten them you will sue for their failure to meet the proper standards of work, and complain to the National House Building Council at nhbc.co.uk or 01494 735363. And tell your lawyer you want weekly reports of his/her actions for you without fail.