A HEARTBROKEN dog owner has warned others of the danger of letting pets ingest objects found on the street after her dog was believed to have taken antifreeze.

Kerryann Reilly, from Govan, wrote an emotional Facebook post explaining the events that led to her Jack Russell Bonnie’s tragic death.

Kerryann described how she was walking her three dogs at around 11pm on February 21 near Craigton Primary School.

READ MORE: Glasgow woman’s warning as dog dies after swallowing poison in park

She explained that she noticed Bonnie was chewing something which looked like chicken and immediately took it out of her mouth.

There were no alarming issues until a few days later when Bonnie was sick and unable to stand on Saturday afternoon. Kerryann immediately took her to the vet hospital.

Bonnie’s health rapidly declined and Kerryann said she was “unrecognisable and weighed twice her own body weight” when they reached the hospital.

The vet tried tirelessly to save Bonnie who unfortunately did not respond to any of the antibiotics given to her and had to be put down later that day.

Following Bonnie’s death, Kerryann was informed by the vet that Bonnie’s symptoms were like those of a dog who suffered from antifreeze poisoning.

Read more of today's top Glasgow stories

Scottish SPCA chief superintendent Mike Flynn said: “We deal with a large number of complaints regarding this issue each year as the poisoning of domestic animals, such as dogs and cats, is a huge issue.

“We take all reports of this nature very seriously, however we have only had reports of one dog poisoning in the Glasgow area this month.

“Dog and cat owners should be vigilant and if they suspect that their animal has ingested something poisonous and should take them to the vet immediately.

“People can report any concerns about intentional poisoning to our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999.”

The Evening Times previously reported of a similar case just a week ago in which a dog died after ingesting poison during a walk in Pollok Park.

Dog owners should be vigilant and seek medical attention if they believe their dog may have ingested anything dangerous for their health to ensure these cases do not become a regular occurrence in Glasgow.