DOG walkers have been warned to be extra vigilant after poisoned food was discovered in a city park.

Three dogs ingested the items in Alexandra Park in the city's east end.

One owner had to rush their animals for urgent treatment after they came across food "smelling strongly of household cleaner".

Now, the SSPCA has issued a warning to dog walkers just days after biscuits laced with nails were discovered elsewhere in the city.

Read more: Warning to Glasgow dog owners as biscuits laced with nails found

Scottish SPCA inspector Stacey Erwin said, “We were alerted to the incident by a dog walker who was concerned three dogs in his care may have ingested poison.

“The person who called found foodstuff, which appeared to be cheese and chicken, smelling very strongly of cleaning products, which could have been antifreeze.

“The dogs were immediately taken for the necessary emergency treatment. Thankfully, they have since been discharged.

Read more: Celtic's Scott Brown surprises young Hoops fan

“This is the second attempt to deliberately harm or kill an animal in Glasgow within days of each other. This is a criminal offence and Police Scotland have been made aware.

“We would urge everyone to be extra vigilant and to report anything suspicious to Police Scotland on 101.”

Read more of today's top Glasgow stories