A MOTHER-of-four says she was forced to get a Tetanus jab after being bitten by a rodent in her ‘rat infested’ home while the family were enjoying a take-away meal.

Hazel Grimes and Steven Haig say they were left with no option but to take their children out of the three-bedroomed home in Shettleston and move in with relatives after the incident on Friday.

The family say the rats are burrowing through walls and nests have been found in a large gaping hole at the back of a kitchen cupboard.

They have asked Shettleston Housing Association to find them alternative accommodation until the infestation is cleared saying their two-year-old son Zack had been suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea.

READ MORE: Rats taking over Glasgow as pest controllers can't keep up

Contact with rats through bites and scratches or by inhaling faeces can pose a risk of a number of diseases including Salmonella, Tuberculosis, Cryptosporidiosis, E.Coli and Foot and mouth disease.

The housing association said it is working closely with environmental health officers to resolve the problem and said it was "concerned" by the family's situation.

Hazel, 39, who is also mum to Daniel, 14, Sophie, 10 and Holly, 7 told of the moment a rat ran across the kitchen floor on Friday while she was dishing out an Indian take-away for the family.

She said: “We were all in the kitchen and I was just about to put out the food when I heard this banging noise.

“I looked down and their was a rat running around the kitchen floor at my feet. It had got out of a cupboard. I was hysterical and I shouted at my sister to get all the kids out.

“It was only the next day I noticed that I had been bitten. I felt really unwell with a sore stomach.”

READ MORE: Rats in Glasgow's Gorbals 'eating through wheelie bins'

The family say they have effectively been left homeless by the problem and are now living with Steven’s mother in Cambuslang.

Steven, 38, who works as a delivery driver, said: “The housing came out and put down four traps but it’s a bit like putting the cart before the horse.”

A spokesman for Shettleston Housing Association said: “We are very concerned about the situation affecting our tenant and her family.

“We first became aware of the problem on Thursday and responded promptly and have been working closely with GCC Environmental Health Officers since then to investigate and deal with the issue.

For all your breaking Glasgow news, click here, or head to our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages

“ Under the direction of Environmental Health we have taken a number of actions and we are hopeful that this has resolved matters.

“We will continue to liaise with Environmental Heath who are actively monitoring the situation. In the meantime we will continue to provide full support and assistance to our tenant in partnership with Environmental Health and other agencies”.