THE family of a much-loved dad believe they have been ‘let down by the system’ after his killer was released from prison early.

Johnny McEwan was killed by a single punch on a night out in Paisley by then teenager James Crossan in April 2017.

Crossan was jailed in December 2017 after admitting to a culpable homicide charge and he was ordered to spend three years and four months behind bars.

However, it emerged last week Crossan has been released on parole, with a requirement to wear a tag, after serving only 18 months of his sentence.

One of Johnny’s friends, who asked to remain anonymous, said the family have been left ‘devastated’ by the news.

The friend added: “The family are very hurt Johnny’s killer has served 18 months for taking the life of a son, brother, father, and friend.

“He went for a night out and never came home.

“The system has failed and they will never get over this.”

Crossan, of Paisley, attacked dad-of-three Johnny, 33, after he allegedly gave one of his friends a “nasty look”. The pair were not known to each other.

He left his victim, who moved to Paisley from Barrhead, bleeding in the street and ran home to tell his mum he had been in a fight.

Crossan contacted police himself after the incident and confessed to “striking” Johnny once.

The killer then learned online from friends that Johnny had not survived, dying two days later in hospital.

The family previously expressed their outrage after Crossan was pictured jetting off to a sunshine holiday while he awaited sentencing.

Photos of James Crossan enjoying himself with friends abroad appeared on social media after he admitted killing Johnny. The images left Johnny’s loved ones outraged.

Lord Burns, who sentenced Crossan, told the High Court in Glasgow the attack was “unprovoked and unnecessary” and had “terrible consequences”.

Back in December 2017, Lord Burns said: “You have cut short his life.

“His family will have to live with the consequences of your conduct for the rest of their lives.”

Crossan’s sentence was reduced from five years on account of his guilty plea.

He was said to show no emotion as he was led to the cells.