A bus carrying climate change activists from Glasgow to London was delayed by Extinction Rebellion protestors blocking major city roads.

Around 50 Scottish campaigners travelled to the capital to take part in Extinction Rebellion's fourth day of protests.

Buses travelled from Glasgow and Edinburgh full of central city dwellers and activists from further north.

But when trying to enter London on Thursday morning, one bus found itself delayed by the protest its passengers were travelling to join.

Read more: Extinction Rebellion Scotland occupy city bridge in climate demo

Myke Hall of Extinction Rebellion Scotland said cheers sounded from the activists onboard when they realised what was happening.

He said: "There were people from across Scotland travelling down to London overnight to make it on time.

"An announcement was made on the bus to say that the trip was delayed because of protestors on the road.

"We weren't mad at all - cheers went up in the bus when the announcement was made."

When the protesters eventually arrived at Parliament Square, they were greeted with a 'true Scottish welcome'.

Organisers called on pipers to attend the protest and welcome those who had travelled through the night.

Read more: Jeremy Corbyn’s house targeted as protesters vow disruption will continue

Myke added: "We're not a huge number, especially in comparison to how many people were already here in London, but it feels really nice to know that people were anticipating our arrival.

Read more: Climate change school strikers say teachers are not helping

"They made us feel very welcome."

He described the atmosphere on Parliament Square, where Scots have been gathered since early this morning, as 'festival-like'.

With temperatures reaching a high of 21 degrees, acoustic guitars could be heard through large speakers and the day saw a number of people take to the microphone and address those gathered with speeches.

Read more: Dozens of Extinction Rebellion protestors paint George Square blue

Myke said most protesters are set to remain in London overnight, with some staying for 'as long as it takes'.

He believes some are planning on staying for the next two weeks.

He said: "The overall strategy here is to get a negotiation with the government.

"To achieve that, we will stay for as long as it takes."