Police officer’s returned to the scene where a man was stabbed to death in Thornliebank, in the hope of finding vital witnesses.

Between 9.30pm and 10.30pm last night, exactly one week on from the murder of 33-year-old Anthony Ferns, officers conducted a stop-and-quiz operation in Crebar Street.

Anthony, known to friends as Tony, was sat in a blue Audi A3 at the junction of Crebar Street and Roukenburn Street last Thursday, just metres from his home, when he was approached by a man who stabbed him.

Read more: Murder inquiry launched by Glasgow police after death of man in Thornliebank

He then drove a short distance to his home address in Roukenburn Street where he got out of the car, walked across the road and collapsed in front of his mother and friends.

Emergency services were called around 10.20pm, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. The results of a post-mortem revealed the victim died from stab wounds.

Detective sergeant Julie Nedley said: “The investigation is continuing and tonight we are doing a stop and interview operation with investigative and uniform officers.

“We’re stopping cars, pedestrians on foot and any buses that are travelling through the area in the hope of identifying witnesses.

“In hope that the local community can assist in the investigation. The public have been keen to help us out and engage.”

DS Nedley said they are currently pursuing a number of positive lines of inquiry, but could not give any information regarding whether a motive for the attack had been established. Last week police appealed to speak to a motorist who drove by the scene of the murder.

Read more today's top Glasgow news stories here

The vehicle was spotted passing by Tony’s car as he was stabbed to death at the Crebar Street junction with Roukenburn Street around 10.10pm.

Detectives want to speak to the driver and the occupants who may have crucial information, but insist there is nothing to suggest the car has any connection to the crime.

The man who carried out the attack on Anthony is described as white, aged between 20-30 and between 5ft 8in and 6ft.

He was wearing a dark-coloured tracksuit and possibly a light-coloured baseball cap.

Following the incident he ran from the scene.