A BIKER who lost his right leg, pelvis and hip following a horror crash is begging to be rehomed after being ‘let down’ by housing chiefs.

Amputee John Morran, 48, claims he has been left a virtual prisoner in his own home since the tragic accident which almost killed him in July last year.

His wife Fiona Morran, 49, said her hubby has been left unable to wash or leave the flat they live in because it’s unsuitable for his needs.

Fiona, from Linwood, Renfrewshire, said: “We applied for a new house nine and a half months ago while John was still in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and still nothing.

READ MORE: Anger at ‘terrifying rat run’ outside Strathbungo flats

“Over the last six months we’ve been in contact with seven different housing associations because we live in a flat which is no good for John.

“It’s a top storey flat with six flights of stairs, which obviously John can’t get down, and nobody is doing anything about it.

“John is now depressed because he can’t leave the house or wash himself in the bathroom, he has to wash himself in a bowl because he can’t get in with his wheelchair.”

Former agency worker John had been married for little more than a year when his life began to unravel.

The motorcyclist was almost killed after he collided with a car in Dreghorn, Ayrshire, on July 23, 2018.

READ MORE: Man, 26, dies after motorbike crash on Govan Road

He was airlifted to hospital and fell critically ill, before he was placed in an induced coma for 22 days.

The stricken dad lost his leg, hip and pelvis after having to undergo intensive surgery, including a hemipelvectom, which is the amputation of half of the pelvis and leg.

Mum-of-three Fiona recalled: “He was in intensive care for 25 days and in an induced coma for 22.

“The day after he was taken to hospital doctors told me he had 24 - 48 hours to live.

“It’s a miracle he’s alive.”

Miraculously, John pulled through the ordeal and was moved to the high dependency unit on August 16 last year.

He had eleven major operations followed by ten debridings, a practice used to remove dead flesh from the body.

He was officially released from hospital on April 23 but was sent back to live in the same block of flats.


But despite letters of support for him to be rehoused by John’s surgeons, occupational therapists, social workers, no solution has been forthcoming.

Fiona, also an agency worker, said: “We’re now at the end of our tether.”

A Renfrewshire Council spokesman said the couple are at the top of their priority list for a new house.

He added: “Available properties with the appropriate adaptions are very limited, but we are working with the family to identify a suitable property and throughout this time colleagues from Renfrewshire Health and Social Care Partnership are supporting Mr Morran’s care needs.”