THE mum of a schoolboy who severed his finger in a toilet door at school has slammed staff for their lack of First Aid training. 

Seven-year-old Rhys Pringles lost the tip of his pinky and nail after getting his finger trapped in a toilet door at school.

The youngster was forced to undergo emergency surgery but unfortunately surgeons at the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow were unable to reattach his sliced digit.

READ MORE: Brendan Rodgers: Burglary of Glasgow home won't tarnish our memories of the city

One stomach-churning picture shows the remains of his finger tip after it fell off.

Medics had to remove 2mm of bone and close the wound with a skin graft.

His furious mum, Arlene Stenhouse-don [corr], 36, says her son's finger might have been saved if staff had put it in ice.

The mum-of-four also claims there was no first-aider at Harestanes Primary School in Kirkintilloch, East Dunbartonshire, to help her son after the accident.

READ MORE: Police searching Ayrshire woods for missing care worker Emma Faulds

Arlene, who works as a carer, said: "His dad went straight to the school and he was kept waiting for 10 minutes until he could see Rhys.

"We had to ask the school about the severed digit.

"The teachers had to look for it and found it on the floor in the toilet.

"We went back to the school and my father, who is a retired policeman, asked if they had put it on ice but they had just wrapped it in tissue and put it in the fridge.

READ MORE: Glasgow private hire driver charged and suspended over rape allegations

"We are left wondering if the severed part had got to the hospital on time they might have been able to save it.

"There are no first aiders at the school.

"That’s the main concern with my other two children there and another one starting this year.

"The school say they never noticed Rhys’ finger was severed.

"I don’t how they can say this."

READ MORE: Police investigate second wilful fireraising incident in Paisley

The accident happened during the lunch period on Monday, April 29.

Arlene added: "Rhys ran to a member of staff in the playground after the accident.

"I was horrified when I found out a P7 pupil was asked to take him to the office.

"An ambulance should have been called. There must have been blood everywhere.

"Instead, they sat him down and put a tissue on it.

"The school then called us."

READ MORE: Hollywood A-lister Hugh Jackman joins guests at new Blythswood restaurant

Rhys, who was picked up by worried dad Steve, 45, was rushed to Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow, before being transferred to the Royal Hospital for Children.

Steve said: "I could hear him crying.

"I then went in and noticed he was chalk white, he was shocked.

"They had a stupid gauze wrapped around the side of his fingers.

"They didn't even put a plaster on it or put his finger in ice.

"I'm disgusted that my son has lost part of his finger."

Arlene has since had a meeting with the headteacher and claims she was told no one in the school - which looks after 200 pupils - has First Aid knowledge.


Ann Davie, Depute Chief Executive of Education, People and Business, said: “We are very sorry that this injury occurred and for the distress caused to Rhys and his family.

"We are currently carrying out an investigation into the circumstances of the accident and the concerns raised by the family and will take the appropriate action once the investigation is complete."