A BASSET Hound who was a favourite with celebrities when they came to Glasgow has died from suspected rat poisoning.

Bertie fell ill and died shortly after his owners took him for a walk through the Merchant City last week, passing Barrowlands and then into Glasgow Green.

The 10-year-old pooch became weak after returning home, after which his worried owners rushed him to a vet. Sadly, Bertie passed away.

READ MORE: Glasgow woman’s warning as dog dies after swallowing poison in park

The sad news comes after the Evening Times previously reported on a spate of dog poisonings and attacks across Glasgow, which prompted a leading psychologist to label such incidents the work of “psychopaths.”

Bertie’s devastated owners are now warning other Glasgow pet owners to keep an eye on what their dogs eat when out for walks in the City Centre and local parks.

Bertie was a favourite with celebrities, and had the pleasure of meeting Hugh Jackman, Belinda Carlisle, Example, Shereen Cutkelvin, Sharon Rooney and Tom Uri when they were in Glasgow.

READ MORE: Warning to Glasgow dog owners as biscuits laced with nails found

He was a regular at the Kimpton Blythswood Square Hotel where he would visit for scones and cream, as well as the K9 Doggy Spa where he would receive pamper sessions and jacuzzis.

He also appeared in music and fitness videos and was featured in newspapers following a trip to the cinema.

His owner, who asked not to be named, said: “Bertie was one-of-a-kind and had a lot of admirers around the city and beyond. We took him for a walk every day in Merchant City, passing Barrowlands and then into Glasgow Green.

“Everywhere we walked him, people would stop and clap him.

“He became ill on Thursday night with what seemed like a sore paw but, after we spotted some small spots of blood on his bed where his head had been, we thought we’d better get him checked out.

“He seemed very weak and the vet put him on a drip immediately. She said he was losing blood quickly and they’d have to look to see where it was from. After they opened him up they found traces of chicken which he’d eaten that morning alongside what looked like rat poison.

“We are obviously devastated and wanted to warn other owners to be vigilant of what their dogs eat when they walk around town.

For all your breaking Glasgow news, click here, or head to our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages

“Rat poison stops the blood from clotting which would explain why Bertie could not stop bleeding.

“Rat poison is also attractive to dogs as the base often contains a sugar and grain.”

Among those who sent messages of support were Radio DJ Suzie McGuire, River City's Gail Telfer Stevens, X Factor’s Caitlyn Vanbeck, reality stars Brian Matthews and Victoria Obahor and STV’s Laura Boyd.

Bertie’s heartbroken owner added: “We’d also like to thank everyone for their kind messages at this difficult time.”