A budget airline has been slammed for its treatment of a Glasgow man who had boiling water poured over him after take-off.

Thomas McNab was flying home from Faro, Portugal, when he was accidentally scalded by a member of the Ryanair cabin crew.

The 49-year-old had ‘up to’ three cups of boiling water dropped on him, causing burns and blistering.

His partner, Tonina Ciantar, has been left outraged by staff’s treatment of the couple, claiming they failed to administer appropriate first aid and left him blistering as she watched helplessly.

Speaking exclusively to the Evening Times, she said: “We had ordered two paninis and two hot chocolates shortly after take-off.

“The air hostess had the trolley next to Thomas and, next thing I knew, he jumped up and was screaming he was burning.

“About four of five cups were scattered on the floor and he was screaming that boiling water had gone down the front of his trousers and on to his feet.

Read more:

Moment lout is bundled off aircraft after on-board fight

“He stood up and ran to the bathroom to get the shoes off and try and get some cold water on them.”

Ms Ciantar, of Dalmarnock, said the lead flight attendant only provided Thomas with gel pads and offered him cream to put on the burns, despite guidance stating the wound should be ‘submerged in cool water’ at the first opportunity. The taxi driver then had to sit for two-and-a-half hours shivering with shock and watching his feet blistering.

Ms Ciantar added: “The flight attendant didn’t even offer to get emergency assistance or move our seat so Thomas could stretch his legs out. She actually made a comment about Thomas causing himself embarrassment by getting an ambulance.

“At one point he started shivering and saying he was cold. I panicked and bought some chocolate for him to try and boost his blood sugar and she actually charged us for it.

“The crew member who dropped the water was nowhere to be seen after it happened.”

Read more:

Men held after brawl on Tenerife bound Prestwick flight

As the plane landed, the couple requested that an ambulance be on site, but only the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was available.

Mr Mcnab was eventually looked over by medical professionals, who told him to go immediately to hospital.

His partner said: “They submerged his feet in cold water and wrapped them in bandages, like they should have done on the plane.

“I understand accidents happen, but the treatment by staff in the aftermath was shocking.

“It could easily have been a child or an elderly person. Luckily, Thomas is a big guy who was able to endure the pain and not make a fuss.”

Read more of today's top Glasgow stories

A Ryanair spokesperson said: "Our customer service team has contacted this customer (on May 28) looking for further information but has yet to receive a response. We will not be making further comment while the investigation continues.”