By Carla Jenkins

WHILE commemorations were held all over Britain to mark 75 years since D-Day, Glasgow rallied to paid their respects to a Glasgow war hero, who was laid to rest on the anniversary, after passing away at the age of 94.

One of seven children born in the Gorbals, Gerald ‘Gerry’ Fisher, had no wife or children of his own and is survived by a handful of great-nephews and nieces.

The family took to social media to urge the public to come together at yesterday’s service and the people of Glasgow did exactly that.

A crowd of more than 100 people turned up to St Alphonsus Church on London Road, right beside the legendary Barras market for the funeral.

Read more: D-Day war hero Gerald Fisher laid to rest in Glasgow today

The casket was carried into the church by Gerry’s nephew before a requiem mass was led by Canon Tom White.

Taking their seats, the congregation was a sea of uniforms and colours as hats were removed out of respect for the veteran.

Gerry’s great-nephew Nicky said: “I’m so happy it’s worked out this way.”

A fellow veteran from the Parachute Regiment said: “He jumped in 75 years ago today to Normandy and it’s today that he gets buried, jumping in again. It’s phenomenal.”

Gerry was a Glasgow man through and through. Born on the 29th of May 1925 in Cavendish street in the Gorbals, Gerry was conscripted as a Bevin boy. Working down the pits as a pathfinder, only 10 per cent of men under the age of 25 were chosen on this notoriously difficult job.

Cannon Walker described his contribution as a “an integral part to this country’s resistance to the tyranny and evil of the supremacist Third Reich, which, at this time, had cloaked the cradle of Europe in its dark shadow.”

Police Scotland closed off London Road, and swathes of military men and women lined the sides for a Guard of Honour as his coffin passed. At St. Coval’s Cemetery in Barrhead, the Saltire and Parachute regiment flags were lowered by Royal Signalists and The Last Post played as his coffin went down.

Gerry was dropped to Normandy in the days prior to D-Day to ensure that areas were safe for troops, removing booby-traps, grenades and other dangers that lay awaiting the allied forces.

Nicky Fisher, wearing his great-uncles medal, said: “He spoke very little of his wartime service.

“I found a letter in the house from the D-Day Veterans Society that said he was there in the lead up to D-Day. I asked him, ‘What does this mean?’ and her said: ‘I was there’.

Read more of today's top Glasgow stories 

“I asked him, ‘what did you do?’ and he said ‘I sent signals out. It was just like hide-and-seek for a few weeks’. What a way to put it.

“He was parachuted in, with the Royal Navy. He was down on the beach, and then went to Arromanches.”

Gerry retired for a quieter life in Glasgow and would walk 10 miles a day, with a route to Paddy’s Market, The Barras and St Alphonsus.

He collected paper-weights, and was always dressed in Harris Tweeds, good shoes and Crombie coats.

In 2016, he was awarded the Legion D’Honour, Frances’s highest award for distinction in Military and Civil Service. Nicky told us he was “so, so proud”.

‘He was a very quiet man… he could be here, and you wouldn’t notice him.”

Canon Tom White said: “Gerald was always a parishioner in the background, a face folk knew but didn’t know his name.”

“I think he would have been blown away by the honour guard that lined the streets on London road for him… the public came together and responded indeed.

“The simple but solemn ceremony today was tremendous, for one who was once one of many, but now is one of few. It was a fitting thing.”

“I think it is very important that we remember the price paid for the peace that we enjoy today.”