CLUTHA helicopter pilot David Traill was described as "very good" in a flight test in the months before the Glasgow crash, a court has heard.

Christopher Redfern, a training captain, was in charge of Mr Traill's operator proficiency check (OPC) and, in a section marked 'crew resource management' Mr Traill was deemed "very good" with Mr Redfern saying the overall standard of the training was considered "acceptable".

Mr Redfern was giving evidence at the Clutha Fatal Accident Inquiry in Hampden Park.

The 45-year-old was asked if he had any issues with Mr Traill during the assessment and replied "no".

Mr Traill was killed along with crew members Tony Collins and Kirsty Nelis when the aircraft crashed on to the roof of the Clutha Vaults on November 29, 2013.


Lawyer quizzes Clutha crash handover pilot

Pub customers Mark O'Prey, Gary Arthur, John McGarrigle, Colin Gibson, Robert Jenkins, Samuel McGhee and Joe Cusker were also killed.

Mr Redfern was the training captain at the time of Mr Traill's OPC in January 2013 and now holds the position of head of flight operations at Babcock.

Mr Redfern said he "might have done his OPC six times", with these two-hour checks held every six months in a simulator.

While working as a training captain, Mr Redfern also told the inquiry he had "never been trained to fly a helicopter outside its limits".

The court also heard three joint minutes of agreement read by Gordon Lamont, advocate for the Crown.

One was put forward by the counsel for Dr Lucy Thomas, the fiancee of Mr Traill.

It detailed an incident in March 2013 at Oxford Airport involving helicopter G-POLD.

Its pilot noticed a difference between how much fuel the aircraft should have been burning and the fuel level displayed on the Cautionary Advisory Display (CAD).

Airbus engineer Andrew Lichfield removed the fuel sensors from the helicopter for testing and found that the addition of water to the sensors meant they "jumped around rather erratically".


Clutha crash 'could have been prevented'

The inquiry has previously heard that water concentrated between the metal tubes of the fuel level sensor may be enough to affect the signal to the display shown to the pilot.

Mr Trail, the court has heard, ignored five low fuel warnings on the night of G-SPAO's final flight despite rules dictating that pilots must land within 10 minutes following a low fuel warning.

The inquiry before Sheriff Principal Craig Turnbull continues today.