A FAMILY-OF-SIX whose Glasgow home was ravaged by a terrifying blaze have thanked the firefighting team who saved them.

In June a building in Garmouth Street went up in flames, with residents evacuated from their homes.

Hero firefighters rescued three residents from the block after the first floor fire, with a total of six people were also taken to hospital including a young family.

The family, who lived in Elderpark Housing facilities, escaped unhurt thanks to the skill and bravery of the fire crew from Govan Community Fire station.

Glasgow Times:

At a fire safety meeting just week after the ordeal, firefighters were applauded and given a standing ovation by local residents.

in a touching gesture, the children of the family made cards for the firefighters to convey their thanks with one saying: “You were amazing and you came very fast to help us.”


Govan fire residents to be given temporary accommodation

Scottish Fire and Rescue Service’s James Hymas said: “We are absolutely committed to working with our partners across the city to protect our communities and reduce the risk of harm wherever possible.

“My thanks must once again go to our crews at Govan who not only acted quickly and decisively to ensure the incident came to a safe conclusion – but followed it up with further safety advice to other residents.

“We would encourage everyone to contact us and sign up for a free Home Fire Safety visit, where our trained staff can offer potentially life-saving advice and install free smoke detectors where appropriate.


Six taken to hospital and residents evacuated after 'serious' blaze

“We are particularly keen to reach the most vulnerable in our communities, and we ask residents to think about their families, neighbours or anyone who they feel may benefit from one of our visits, and get in touch.”

The meeting was arranged by Elderpark Housing, who promised to house the affected residents following the blaze.

The young family are now living in temporary accommodation provided by Govan Housing Association as repairs are carried out to fix the extensive damage.


Workmen tell of daring rescue as blaze tore through Glasgow tenement

Gary Dalziel, chief executive at Elderpark Housing, said: "The swift actions of firefighters from Govan Community Fire Station undoubtedly helped prevent what could have became a significant danger to the family and the local community”

“The family are immensely grateful for their rescue and we are doing everything we can to support them as we begin work to repair their home.

Read more of today's top Glasgow stories.

“Fortunately, fires such as this one are a very rare occurrence but constant vigilance and knowledge of fire safety can help prevent such danger."