Emergency services operating on a closed city centre street are unable to confirm when the road will re-open. 

Union Street in Glasgow has been partially closed due to an 'unsafe canopy', with traffic and travel chaos hitting commuters. 

READ MORE: Fire crews seal off Glasgow's Union Street at Egyptian Halls amid concerns for 'unsafe canopy'

Statements from the council, ScotRail and bus providers all confirm disruption with travel services, with cars backed up to Renfield Street as a result. 

Glasgow City Council posted: "Please note that Union Street is currently closed to all traffic between Gordon Street and Argyle Street. Road users should consider alternative routes.

A traffic information bulletin from Glasgow City Council said: "Union Street is currently closed to all traffic between Gordon Street and Argyle Street due to a dangerous/loose poster which is now partially attached to scaffolding.

READ MORE: Glasgow lout threatened to 'slit throat' of man during 999 call who he believed stole his dog

"Emergency services are currently on location and further updates will be issued when more information is known.

"Road users should consider alternate routes and expect congestion on surrounding streets."

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) spokeswoman said three crews were dealing with the "dangerous structure/canopy with tarpaulin" at the A-listed building.

A Police Scotland spokeswoman also said they had been notified by the SFRS about the incident.

Officers helped with the initial road closures, which affected many buses going along the road.

First Bus customers are being advised to travel to the next stop for their chosen service while the road is closed. 

For many, this will be at Sauchiehall Lane or elsewhere on Renfield Street.

Those travelling through Glasgow on trains have also been hit. 

Union Street is part of the route connecting Glasgow Queen Street and Central stations, with advice issued by ScotRail to use the Gordon Street entrance to avoid issues. 

Some businesses on Union Street and nearby have reportedly not allowed staff or members of the public to return to the street due the threat of the canopy. 

Members of the public have posted messages saying they hope the street will reopen soon. 

Jill Ferguson wrote: "Wind was quite high earlier - surely the canopy should be secured  strong enough to prevent any damage. Hope its not due to vandalism."

Others have reported seeing some buses re-routed through George Square during the disruption.