UNIVERSITY of Glasgow students affected by the large gas leak in Finnieston are being welcomed into temporary accommodation.

We reported previously how homes and businesses have been evacuated in the Kelvinhaugh Street area.

Police, fire crews and engineers rushed to the area at around noon to make the street safe.

A multi-agency presence remains in place.

READ MORE: Homes and businesses evacuated in West End amid 'large' gas leak

Now, the University of Glasgow has said displaced students are welcome to use the facilities on Kelvinhaugh Place.

A tweet from the university said: “A number of UofG student residences on Kelvinhaugh Street have been temporarily evacuated by emergency services due to a reported gas leak. Any students impacted by the cordon are welcome to head to Cairncross House where they can wait & use the facilities until further notice.”

SGN spokesman Dan Brown said: “Our engineers are on-site following reports of third party damage to our gas main in Kelvinhaugh Street.

For all your breaking Glasgow news, click here, or head to our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram pages

“We’ll be working to investigate the extent of the damage to our network and ensure the safety of the surrounding area.”

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service said in a tweet: “We were alerted at 12.05pm to reports of a large gas leak on Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow.

“Operations Control mobilised three fire appliances to the scene and firefighters are working to assist partners with the evacuation of nearby buildings as a precaution.

“Crews will remain in attendance.”