A GLASGOW mum is seeking legal advice after her son was hospitalised with E coli following a holiday in Turkey.

Julie Gilmartin, 39, said Matthew Bennett, 10, started to develop symptoms including diarrhoea on the plane home from a week-long stay at the Bone Club Sunset Hotel & Spa at the start of July.

The Penilee youngster, who was also on holiday with brother Ollie and dad Harry, was then seen by a GP who requested a stool sample after he experienced further symptoms including severe abdominal pains and passing blood.

His health deteriorated and he was taken to A&E where he was admitted to the Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow for more than three days.

Following several tests, his mum was contacted by Glasgow Council Public Health who advised that Matthew had been diagnosed with E.coli 0157, a serious bacterial infection which can cause serious long-term complications and sometimes even death.

READ MORE: No1Seems2Care slams Glasgow City Council over 'online ban'

It has not yet been confirmed how or where Matthew contracted the bug.

Julie said: “Matthew went to the toilet a few times on the plane journey home which seemed quite odd for him, but then as the days passed there was clearly something wrong.

“He didn’t eat well and then started to suffer from further issues like stomach cramps.

“I ended up calling the NHS 24-hour helpline and was told straight away to take him to hospital. It was awful to see how the illness affected him and they felt they had no choice to admit him. It was horrendous.”

She added: “I was stunned to get the news that Matthew’s illness was E.coli.

“I’m just so frustrated that we went away for what should have been a nice, family break only for this to happen. It is awful and we deserve some answers as to how Matthew’s illness emerged and whether it could have been prevented.

READ MORE: Council allow two Irish republican parades to go ahead after Govan riot

“Although I had seen some concerning issues in relation to the cleanliness and hygiene in the restaurant such as food sometimes being served lukewarm and roaming cats, I never thought I was at serious risk of illness.

“I dread to think that other kids might be running the risk of also being affected.”

Julie, a customer assistant at Sainsbury’s, has instructed Irwin Mitchell’s specialist International Personal Injury team to investigate how the illness was contracted and whether more could have been done to prevent it.

Jatinder Paul, a Senior Associate Solicitor at Irwin Mitchell who is representing the pair, said: “We are hugely concerned by the information provided to us by Julie and Matthew and have already commenced our investigations into the issues that they faced.

READ MORE: Police warning ahead of Glasgow Irish republican parades

“E.coli is a very serious illness and we have seen on numerous occasions how it can have a particular impact on both the elderly and children. With this in mind, we are determined to ensure that this family gets the answers they deserve and Matthew can also get support to assist his recovery.

“Very serious questions have been raised by this case and we would also be keen to hear from anyone else who may have suffered similar issues after staying at this resort to assist us with our investigations.”

A Jet2 spokesperson told the Evening Times: “We are sorry to hear that Ms Gilmartin’s son was taken ill following their holiday.

“But as lawyers have been instructed it would be inappropriate for us to make any further comment.”