Irish Republican marches were the scene of heated tensions this weekend in Glasgow for the second time in as many weeks. 

Tensions were raised over the two processions – held by the Cairde na hEireann calton Republicans and the Friends of Irish Republican Prisoners Welfare Association - following riot-like scenes in Govan last week.

The first march made off from Millroad Street in Calton just after 1.30pm.

Man 'carrying offensive weapon' arrested ahead of Irish Republican marches in Glasgow

Hundreds of Irish Republican supporters marched, shepherded by police, through the east end of the city. 

But by the time it reached Clyde Street at around 2.30pm it was met with fierce protest by loyalists. 

Police held the march near to the Clutha bar for around 10 minutes before allowing it to progress. 

Around 100 protesters, mainly men and some wearing Union Jack t-shirts were then penned together to the side of the La Pasionaria Monument.

A “significant deployment” of officers, including riot police, mounted officers, dive units and the force helicopter were on alert by the banks of the river at Broomielaw to deal with the incident. 

Chants of “IRA off our streets”, “scum” and “paedo” erupted from protesters as the marchers made their way down Clyde Street to the monument. 

Cops carry out thorough searches at Glasgow Irish Republican marches to prevent more 'warzone' scenes

A second march, by the Friends of Irish Republican Welfare Association, was set to leave Blythswood Square at 3pm before heading to Barrowland Park.

However, it’s thought that it was put on hold by officers. 

This weekend's processions come after riot-like scenes in Govan on Friday, August 31.

Hundreds of officers were on the scene as loyalist protestors disrupted an Irish Unity march by the James Connolly Republican Flute Band.

Two men were arrested, charged and released on bail following that incident and are due to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on October 1.

This article has since been amended following publication.