A sword thug who chopped off a woman's finger after his home had been vandalised has been jailed for seven years.

William Rae carried out the horrific attack on Kylie McMahon outside a nursery school in Glasgow's Dalmarnock last October.

A judge heard how the 30-year-old victim needed a 10-hour operation.

She also suffered severe facial injuries and continues to struggle following her ordeal.

Rae was today sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow.

READ MORE: Fan who tried to punch ex-Rangers star Lee Wallace avoids jail for sectarian abuse at Ibrox

The 32-year-old pled guilty to assaulting Kylie to her severe injury, permanent disfigurement and impairment as well as to the danger of her life.

Lord Matthews said Rae had gone out armed to go after those he believed had earlier turned up at his home.

The judge went on: “This was a terrible attack. You did not need to leave the house, you did not need to chase after anyone.

“We cannot have people running around Glasgow with swords.”

A hearing was told an angry Rae had gone out hours before the sword attack and hurled cans of lager at Kylie's windows.

Rae was known to her partner – there had been earlier “ill feeling” between the men.

READ MORE: I’m still living with this nightmare: Glasgow child sex abuse victim speaks out

Kylie was later walking with friends when Rae appeared from a lane close to his own girlfriend's home.

He was clutching the weapon and initially went after the group before chasing Kylie alone.

The court heard she may have been armed herself and ran towards Rae after he fell.

But, prosecutor Patricia Comiskey said: “He followed and cornered her at the entrance of the nursery.

“He repeatedly struck her to the face and hands with the sword. This was all captured on CCTV.”

Kylie managed to break free before losing consciousness.

She was eventually rushed to hospital suffering from gruesome wounds.

Kylie lost her left ring finger as well as “significant injuries” to others.

Her faces was also left badly scarred. She may require further surgery.

Miss Comiskey: “She has suffered anxiety, loss of confidence, low mood and insomnia since.

“She is receiving psychological therapy to assist her.”

Tony Graham, defending, said the victim and others had “attended” at Rae's door before the attack.

The QC added: “He should have called the police and not taken the law into his own hands.”

Lord Matthews said the jail-term would have been eight years, but for the guilty plea.