AN angry man who threatened Rangers fans with a garden trowel on a busy train has avoided jail.

Lorri Gregg, 34, from Motherwell, who was wearing Celtic shorts, was taunted by teenage fans after he boarded the train at the SEC.

The youths, who were wearing Rangers tops and scarves, prevented Gregg from using the on-board toilet.

Someone then slapped a Rangers sticker on Gregg’s back and the group called him a Fenian b******d.”

READ MOREThug who mowed down teenage victim in Parkhead murder bid caught on CCTV

Gregg, who was raging about this, returned moments later with a garden trowel and threatened one of the group.

He pled guilty today at Glasgow Sheriff Court to possession of an offensive weapon without reasonable excuse or lawful authority and was ordered to perform 90 hours unpaid work.

The court heard Gregg and a friend, who were on their way home from a fishing trip at Loch Lomond, boarded the Dalmuir to Motherwell train at the SEC railway station on July 6, 2018.

The court heard there was an altercation between the Rangers fans, who blocked the entry to the toilet, and Gregg.

READ MORE: Cops hunting Clydebank rapist who carried out sex attack near park appeal for witnesses

Prosecutor Amy Hunter said: “An unknown man slapped a Rangers sticker on Gregg’s back.

“They called him a fenian b******d.”

Gregg returned to his friend and told him what they had done before going back armed with the trowel, which was in his fishing bag.

Miss Hunter added: “He approached them and raised his arm with the trowel in a threatening motion towards them before walking away.”

The incident was captured on CCTV.

Gregg was then arrested and charged at Carmyle train station.

Lawyer, Michael Lott, defending said: “The youths were threatening him and he thought they would follow through with their threats.

“He should have gone back to his seat .but he wrongly decided to scare them.”

Sheriff  Brian Cameron. told Gregg: “You have a bit of a temper. I see you have a history of violence and a public disorder."

The incident took place at around 10.30pm.

Earlier that day Rangers had played a pre-season friendly against Bury.