THE funeral of a Milton man whose death still remains unexplained will take place on Monday.

Johnny Connelly, 28, was first reported as a missing person before his body was recovered from the water at Spiers Wharf on July 22.

A funeral service will be held in St Augustine's Chapel from 9.30 am on Monday before continuing to Lambhill Crematorium at 10.30 am. The family added that they will attend the Inn on Balmore Road after the service.

Glasgow Times:

A statement released through No1seems2care said: "The Connelly family welcome everyone to join them to celebrate Johnny's life. The Connelly family have asked us to thank this community, and everyone else involved, for their support during this difficult time.

"Finally, the Connelly family have suggested that people can attend the service wearing football tops as football was Johnny's passion, but they have respectfully requested that Celtic and Rangers tops should not be worn to the service. Failing this normal funeral attire can be worn."

READ MORE: Rangers legend Fernando Ricksen died one day before heartbroken wife was due to visit him

Glasgow Times:

We previously revealed that cops were looking at the possibility that Mr Connelly may have been involved in some sort of incident which resulted in him being injured prior to his death. 

They said the injuries he had were to his head and body - and their investigation has centered on what happened to him in an underpass in the city centre area. 

Using CCTV they have narrowed down a timeframe from 10 pm to 10.20 pm on the night he was last seen alive. 

The force said John was seen socialising in the city centre on July 15. He was then seen walking in Buchanan Street around 10 pm, walking past the Bus Station and Buchanan Galleries.

He is also seen walking on Sauchiehall Street and West Nile Street.

Around 10.10 pm, John stops outside a property in Renfrew Street before walking off where he is seen again in Dundasvale Court.

Officers have established that John was in the underpass at Garscube Road leading to Speirs Wharf in the Cowcaddens area around 10.20 pm where he was seen on CCTV.

They believe he has potentially been involved in an incident at this location where he sustained injuries to his head and body.

Glasgow Times:

Last night the force said the death is still unexplained and enquiries are ongoing.

Previously more than £2,000 was raised through a GoFundMe fundraising page for Mr Connelly's funeral.