A MUM claims she was forced to give birth alone in her bedroom and was put at risk of a life threatening condition because midwives dismissed her labour pains as a bout of diarrhoea.

Suciati Ahmad, 38, from Easterhouse, frantically phoned the Princess Royal Maternity hosptial twice as her pain intensified but says she was advised not to come in despite being 36 weeks into her pregnancy.

The couple made their first call to the maternity unit at the Princess Royal Maternity Hospital at 1.50pm but were told not to come in, despite Mrs Ahmad, who already had a daughter, insisting that she was in the early stages of labour.

Mrs Ahmad made a second call at 6:30am the following morning, but claims she was once again told not to come to the maternity unit.

Just over four hours later she gave birth and claims she blacked out from the pain.

Read more: New degree for paramedics launched at Scottish universities

When she came round her new-born daughter was at her feet. Husband Ashfaq called an ambulance two minutes after the birth and crews arrived 15 minutes later.

The couple were finally admitted to the Royal Infirmary almost 23 hours after their first phone call to the hospital.

Glasgow Times:

Suciati says she later developed an infection in her womb as the placenta had remained in her body for a dangerously long time.

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde has said the case will be "fully investigated."

The body typically expels the placenta within 30 minutes of delivery. When it’s left untreated, a retained placenta can cause life-threatening complications for the mother, including infection and excessive blood loss.

Read more: Children's cancer ward infection inquiry to report findings

The couple and their new-born child were discharged from hospital four days later.

Suciati told how she began suffering pains and noticed ‘jelly-like blood’ started appearing around midday the day before she gave birth on October 26.

She said: “I was feeling scared. If I give birth, what’s going to happen? I didn’t have any idea.”

“You can feel your body telling you to do it. One push and the baby just came out.

“Before I pushed, I felt scared. I felt so many things. Why are they refusing me? I cannot accept who was accepting my call. She didn’t trust me, like I was lying.

“I felt like whatever was happening I should just let it happen at home. I felt so scared, worried and I didn’t understand what was actually going on.

“I didn’t know what to do, or how to give birth but I felt like I would just let it happen at home, because they were not accepting me at the hospital.”

Glasgow Times:

Ashfaq claims that the doctors in the hospital suspected his wife would develop an infection due to the length of time that the placenta had stayed in her body.

The family were discharged after four days and the following Saturday, Mrs Ahmad developed an infection. After a course of antibiotics, the now mother-of-two is healthy, but says the birth has left the whole family traumatised.

She said: “When I got the infection, the pain was worse than the labour pain, I felt that I’m not going to be alive for much longer.

“You don’t know what the side effects are after giving birth in this situation.

“This has been so traumatic for myself and my family, especially my daughter.”

The couple claim that when they went for a follow-up appointment to the hospital they were told that her medical records state that staff recorded her labour pains as ‘cramping.’

A spokeswoman for NHSGGC said: "This women delivered at home after being in was in contact with the maternity assessment unit. She is due to come and meet with the staff to discuss her case which will be fully investigated."