Life-saving drug Naloxone was used 17 times to save people from fatal overdoses in Glasgow’s winter night shelter last year.

Staff at the shelter trained to administer the drug took action to help save lives.

Over the four months when the shelter was open, 691 people used the facility. Many of those using the shelter have a drug problem and Naloxone is used across homelessness services in the city.

Last year 45 people who were registered as homeless died in Glasgow and some were drug related deaths.

Susanne Millar, Interim Chief Officer of Glasgow's Health & Social Care Partnership said: "Sadly, of the 45 people who died, the majority of those deaths were related to complex health issues often associated with previous or current addiction issues, including mental health, with a smaller number recorded as drugs deaths.

"Many of our service users who died had previous or existing addiction issues, some also with significant mental health needs. It is the complexity of those needs which contributed to their deaths, rather than issues relating to their housing status.

"The number of lives potentially saved at the Winter Night Shelter demonstrates the scale of the problem. Unfortunately, this heart-breaking reality is replicated in our other homelessness services too. It is emotionally difficult for staff and trained volunteers at the Night Shelter who work closely with service users and whom I'd personally like to thank for their dedication and professionalism in these difficult circumstances."