DETECTIVES investigating the unexplained death of a Milton man believe three men could help them find out what happened to him. 

Johnny Connelly was first reported as a missing person on July 15 before his body was tragically recovered from the water at Spiers Wharf on July 22. 

His death remains unexplained with detectives continuing to work on the case, making repeated appeals.

We previously revealed that detectives believe Johnny was assaulted at the underpass near to, or at the stairs, leading from Garscube Road.

Now officers say enquiries have established three men were near to that location around 10:25 pm that night on Monday, July 15.

The men, who were in a group, are white, between 30 and 45 years of age and all spoke with Scottish accents. They were wearing jeans and sports clothing. 

READ MORE: Family of tragic Milton man Johnny Connelly create memorial bench in his honour

Glasgow Times:  

During a six-month police investigation, more than 50 statements have been taken by officers while more at least 40 people have been spoken to.

Officers have also viewed hundreds of hours of CCTV footage in the city centre, Cowcaddens, Spiers Wharf, and surrounding areas. 

Last July a stop and interview operation was held with uniformed and plain clothes officers speaking to dog walkers, runners and members of the public along the canal area. 

The force said that the initial response from the public has been encouraging but officers are still appealing for people to think back and consider if there is any information that could aid their enquiries. 

A number of posters remain in the area in an effort to remind people that officers are still investigating the circumstances of Johnny’s death.  

READ MORE: Death of John Connelly remains 'unexplained' as Glasgow police widen search area

Glasgow Times:

Detective Inspector John Morrison said: “Johnny was a loving son, brother and a much-loved uncle. His family is still trying to come to terms with his loss and just want to know what happened to him. Not knowing what happened or how he came to his death is causing them added anguish and sorrow.

“I am appealing to these three men to contact us, they may think they don’t know anything but I am asking them to let us be the judge of that.

"A small piece of information, which may seem insignificant, could be vital to us as we build up a picture of what has happened.

Glasgow Times:

Glasgow Times:

"I am also re-appealing to the public to consider whether they too have information which could be relevant.

"Anyone losing a loved one is entitled to know what happened to them. Please contact us and pass your information on.”

Anyone with information is asked to call CID officers at Maryhill Police Station via 101, quoting incident number 3452 of 22 July 2019.