Three thugs who took part in a violent puppy raid have been locked up for a total of almost 12 years.

Ben Murphy, 19, Liam Kinsella, 27, and Samuel Durnion, 21, smashed into the house of Leanne Hodge in Castlemilk last August.

A judge heard how a 10 year-old girl had a machete held against her throat.

The gang went on to steal eight three-week old Bull Mastiff pups valued at £8,000.

The trio were today sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow having earlier admitted acting with others in the assault and robbery.

Murphy was sentenced to 30 months, Kinsella for five years and three months while Durnion was locked up for four years.

Lord Beckett described the raid as “pre-meditated” and said it has had a “profound” effect on Leanne and others involved.

The mum was at court with family for the hearing today.

Addressing Kinsella – who also admitted to a similar crime on an ex-boss – the judge said: “It seems these attacks were carried out on your agenda against others you felt had harmed you and your family.”

Durnion will also be supervised for a further two years on his release.

The raid on Leanne's home occurred on 21 August last year while she was at home with her partner. Three children were also there.

The robbers stormed in armed with machetes and hammers.

READ MORE: Castlemilk puppy robbery: Thugs behind bars after raid where knife was held against 10-year-old's throat

Prosecutor Duncan McPhie said: “They entered as a 10 year-old girl made her way downstairs.

“A number of the men smashed ground floor windows of the property.

“One of them seized hold of the girl, placed a machete to her throat and stated: “Where's your f*****g dad?”

The court heard others in the house took “shelter in fear” by barricading themselves in an upstairs bedroom.

Mr McPhie added: “They (the robbers) took hold of eight Bull Mastiff puppies.

“The men left – some on foot and others by car.”

Police arrived and found keys belonging to a Volkswagen Polo the gang initially drove there.

Mr McPhie: “They recovered a number of items including a letter in the name of Murphy.”

His passport was also found lying in the same street.

Murphy, of Wishaw, Lanarkshire, was later discovered outside a nearby McDonalds.

Quizzed about the robbery, he added: “I don't recall that. I don't have the dogs.”

Kinsella was later identified as the driver of the Volkswagen. DNA also helped link him and Durnion to the raid.

READ MORE: Thug caged for life after brutal baseball bat attack on Ryan Richardson in Shettleston home

Maintenance worker Kinsella, of Motherwell, Lanarkshire, told police: “I know what this is about...those puppies. I know why I am in.

“I gave my mate a loan of a machete and I left my phone in a car.”

It is not known exactly how many of the dogs were returned.

Kinsella was involved in an armed robbery five days earlier at the home of his former boss George Murray in Wishaw.

George and his wife recognised the dad as one of the three raiders.

Kinsella then returned the next day claiming he had heard of an “incident” at the property.

His lawyer Neil McCulloch told the hearing the thug accepted what happened was “reprehensible”.

David Nicolson, defending Murphy, said: “He is a young man who was seduced by the excitement of being involved.”

Durnion's advocate Louise Arrol said he was not the person who held the machete at the girl.

Prosecutors today told the hearing the Crown “does not appear to know the perpetrator of that particular act”.