ANOTHER East Dunbartonshire school has been evacuated because of a gas leak - the third in two weeks. 

Pupils and parents were led out of Craigdhu Primary School on Thursday after carbon monoxide was detected in a school building. 

Recently installed carbon monoxide detectors sounded after the highly poisonous gas was detected in a boiler room a few metres from the school building.

READ MORE: Pedestrian killed after being hit by car on M8 named

The evacuation occurred after school on Thursday evening, when afterschool groups and a book fare were taking place.

One parent spoke of her worries about schools across East Dunbartonshire - three have now been evacuated in similar circumstances. 

The woman, whose daughter attends the Milngavie school raised concerns the problem had been going on longer than people thought.

She said: "Craigdhu has only recently had a carbon monoxide detector fitted recently: how long has this been going on for?"

The woman, who did not wish to be named, said her daughter was worried about going into school on Friday morning. 

She added: "To be fair to the school, the staff dealt with it really well."

Another woman, who also wished to remain anonymous, said she was "very nervous" about the state of schools in the area. 

She said she was worried about sending her son, who has autism and attends the school part-time, back to the school. 

READ MORE: Balmuildy Primary children sick AGAIN days after gas leak despite being declared 'safe'

Once the fire brigade gave the all-clear, pupils were permitted back into the school to collect their coats and bags and then left. 

East Dunbartonshire council contends that there was no danger to staff, pupils or parents as a result of the leak. 

Amy Callaghan, the MP for East Dunbartonshire said: "Time and time again I have pushed the council to address the valid concerns from worried parents.  I would encourage anyone to reach out to me if they require help on behalf of our school pupils and staff."

We told last month how children at Balmuildy Primary School fell ill twice after the school reopened on Tuesday, February 25, having suffered from a carbon monoxide leak.

Before the evacuation took place on the previous Thursday, dozens of children were vomiting, fainting and feeling nauseous.

READ MORE: Mum demands answers after Balmuildy Primary School evacuated amid gas alert

East Dunbartonshire education chief Thomas Glen said: "We can confirm that one of the new carbon monoxide monitors at Craigdhu Primary School, in the external boiler house at the school, activated yesterday. The school was evacuated as a precaution and Scottish Fire & Rescue attended.

"They identified that one of the two gas boilers in the boiler house had
developed a fault and it was immediately switched off. They also confirmed
that it was an isolated reading, there was no trace of the gas in the
school and that the children and staff had not been at risk at any time.

"The boiler, which had previously been serviced in December 2019, was
repaired last night and the heating and hot water at the school are
functioning as normal."