NO pupils at Glasgow’s primary schools are protected by carbon monoxide (CO) detectors, the Glasgow Times can reveal.

There are not CO detectors in any of Glasgow’s primary schools, according to a Freedom of Information request seen by the Glasgow Times.

CO detectors are not legally required in non-residential public buildings, including schools and nurseries.

READ MORE: Mum demands answers after Balmuildy Primary School evacuated amid gas alert

The revelation comes as three schools in East Dunbartonshire were evacuated in the past weeks after recently installed carbon monoxide alarms sounded.

We told in February how dozens of children at Balmuildy Primary School had reportedly fallen ill after a gas leak at the school.

An entire primary three class was moved into another room as they were showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – a week after the school had first been evacuated.

Two other schools have also been evacuated after the council installed carbon monoxide detectors in schools across East Dunbartonshire.

Boiler leaks were blamed for carbon monoxide detected in the three primary schools in Bishopbriggs.

Wester Cleddens and Craigdhu primary schools in the town were both affected by carbon monoxide leaks.

Glasgow Labour education spokeswoman Soryia Siddique has called for all schools in the city to be fitted with CO detectors.

The councillor said: “Most of us are aware of the potential danger of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, tasteless, toxic gas. Improper ventilation can result in carbon monoxide accumulation to dangerous levels.

“Health and safety of children and staff is paramount and carbon monoxide detectors should be fitted in all Glasgow schools.

“This would allow the detection of any fault, leak or incomplete combustion which may become present.”

A council spokeswoman said: “While we have made the decision to install CO monitoring in our new build establishments and boiler renewal projects, we are still considering whether the retro-fitting of CO detection in all of our establishments is proportionate to the risks posed – especially in cases where the boiler room is remote from the populated parts of the school.

“A recent review of our records show that we have never had any instances of carbon monoxide related incidents in any of our schools, also suggesting that this is not an issue that would put the health, safety and welfare of our children and other building users at risk – the safety of our building users is paramount. “However, our officers are currently undertaking a review of the current arrangements in light of recent events in neighbouring local authorities.

READ MORE: Children sent home from Balmuildy Primary School amid hot water issue

“We already have robust procedures of planned preventative and recurring maintenance of the boiler plant in schools and other buildings, which ensures that the equipment is tested and maintained regularly to minimise the risks associated with equipment of this nature.

“Additionally, our boiler houses are constructed in line with the ventilation requirements that mitigate against the risks associated with build-up of gases.”