A COUPLE were brutally stabbed by two thugs – after a row over £100.

Finlay McIntyre, 52, and Karen Branwhite, 38, were set upon outside their front door in Greenock, Inverclyde last November 5.

Thugs Jamie Middleton, 19, and Andrew Mulholland, 27, pounced on the pair before escaping in a taxi they arrived in.

Finlay suffered nine stab wounds while his partner was also badly hurt.

A judge heard today how the attackers were both on bail for knife offences at the time.

Middleton and Mulholland are now behind bars after they admitted assaulting the victims to their severe injury and danger of their lives.

They had originally been charged with attempting to murder the couple.

The pair were remanded in custody pending sentencing next month.

Prosecutor Kath Harper told the High Court in Glasgow how Finlay owed Middleton £100.

Miss Harper: “An agreement was reached that the money would be paid on November 6.”

But, Middleton and Mulholland instead turned up at the couple's home around 8.30 pm the night before the arranged date.

Finlay was on the landing in his close when Middleton then knifed him in the stomach.

Miss Harper: “He shouted: 'What's this about?'. He was then repeatedly stabbed by Middleton.

“Karen Branwhite moved towards her partner...Mulholland turned on her stabbing her three times.”

The bleeding victims managed to escaped back to their home.

The attackers yelled: “Open the door. You better still get my money.”

The pair then jumped into a taxi and fled the scene.

Finlay and Karen managed to alert police despite collapsing in a pool of blood behind their front door.

Finlay had multiple stab wounds to his head, chest, and stomach when officers arrived while his partner was in cardiac arrest.

Both ended up in intensive care with Finlay needing emergency surgery.

Karen meantime had a collapsed lung, a liver injury as well as a fractured rib.

Miss Harper: “Both arrived in a critical condition. They were both found to have potentially life-threatening injuries.”

Middleton and Mulholland were held weeks later for the attacks.

Lady Stacey deferred sentencing for reports until next month.