A THUG who scalded a prison officer with boiling water from a kettle was jailed for three years today.

Pierce Hendry, 25, soaked Colin McLure, 50, in HMP Low Moss in Bishopbriggs in December 2018.

Mr McLure needed hospital treatment following the unprovoked attack.

Hendry was serving a seven year High Court sentence for assault and robbery at the time.

He pleaded guilty today at Glasgow Sheriff Court to the assault to Mr McClure’s injury and was locked up by Sheriff Paul Crozier.

READ MORE: Army despatched to Glasgow Airport's Holiday Inn hotel

He said: “You have a horrendous record of offending and the only disposal available is prison.”

The court heard Hendry was offered lunch by Mr McLure’s colleague Julie McDonald.

Hendry refused while holding a boiling kettle in his hand.

Miss McDonald asked if it was broken and he made no reply.

Mr McLure was fixing the door of the serving trolley meantime, not involved in the conversation.

Prosecutor Mark Allan said: “Mr McLure noticed Hendry behind the trolley.

“The next thing he was aware of was feeling the boiling water on his face and body.

“Mr McLure was obviously scalded by the attack on him by Hendry.”

Hendry dropped the kettle and was pounced on by other prison offers who grabbed him.

Mr McLure was initially taken to the prison’s nurse before being sent to Glasgow Royal Infirmary.

READ MORE: Coronavirus LIVE: Scottish death toll rises to 22 as country placed on lockdown

Mr Allan said: “Fortunately for Mr McLure, he sustained superficial burns to his face a chest and there will be no scarring or permanent damage.”

Mark Conlan, defending, told the court that there was no explanation given behind the attack.

He added: “Prior to this Mr Hendry was transferred for two months for treatment.

“When he returned he received no medication at all and said his head wasn’t in the right place at the time.”

Hendry received a seven year extended sentence after a High Court conviction for assault and robbery in 2013.

Hendry and a teenager held up two shops within minutes with a six inch machete - stealing money and alcohol.

The shopkeepers had to use a chair and a stick to defend themselves before activating a panic alarm.