Shops are closing. Newspaper sales are falling. But we’ve chosen to keep our online journalism free because it’s so important that the people of Glasgow stay informed during this crisis.

To help us get through this, we’re asking readers who can afford it to contribute either £3, £5 or £8 a month to the Glasgow Times.

If you choose to sign up, we’ll also take away all the adverts – and deliver a digital version of the print paper to your device. Click here to help Save Your Times:


A gunman who brandished a loaded pistol at two pub bouncers has been jailed for five years.

Francis Smith pulled the weapon on Benjamin Bibby and Stewart Edwards outside Nico's bar in Glasgow's Sauchiehall Street last December 21.

The 32 year-old had earlier been involved in an incident there and had shouted: "I am going to get a gun and shoot you."

CCTV then captured Smith returning to the busy street minutes later armed with the firearm, which he later claimed he had found in a park.

But, the brave bouncers along with another door steward tackled Smith and pinned him to the ground before he was arrested.

Smith was yesterday sentenced at the High Court in Glasgow after earlier admitting pointing the Slovakian made gun at the men along with two other firearms charges.

Glasgow Times:

He appeared via video link from prison.

Judge Sean Murphy QC told him: "This was a dangerous thing to do and the courts must respond in the public interest by sending you to a substantial period of imprisonment.”

At an earlier hearing, prosecutor Angela Gray described what happened.

She told how the "shoot you" threat was "not taken seriously".

But, Smith returned to his room in nearby Holland Street, grabbed the gun from a set of drawers and headed back to Nico's.

Miss Gray said: “Given that it was the week of Christmas, Sauchiehall Street was busy.

“Someone in the vicinity shouted 'gun' as a warning. With his arm outstretched Smith pointed the handgun towards Mr Bibby and Mr Edwards.

"Mr Bibby immediately approached Smith and began to wrestle the handgun from him.

"He was assisted by Mr Edwards and another door steward.

“Smith was disarmed and restrained on the ground until police arrived.”

The gun was in good working order and capable of discharging.

There was a live bulleted cartridge in the magazine of the weapon and the safety catch was off.

Officers searched Smith's room and found a single bullet on the floor as well as 10 more in a money tin and a knotted latex glove.

The court was told Smith only previous conviction related to drinking in a public place.

His QC John Scullion yesterday said: "Prior to the incident, he found a bag containing various items while walking in a park.

“Rather than hand it into the authorities, he stupidly took the bag to the room where he was staying.”