Shops are closing. Newspaper sales are falling. But we’ve chosen to keep our coverage of the Coronavirus crisis free because it’s so important that the people of Glasgow stay informed during this difficult time.

To help us get through this, we’re asking readers who can afford it to contribute either £3, £5 or £8 a month to the Glasgow Times.

If you choose to sign up, we’ll also take away all the adverts – and deliver a digital version of the print paper to your device. Click here to help Save Your Times:

A MAN today admitted a murder bid on a dozing homeless man by setting fire to his sleeping bag.

At the High Court in Glasgow 52-year-old Graham Moffat pleaded guilty to attempting to murder Mareks Vilkins just before 2am on August 2, 2018 in East Campbell Street, Glasgow.

Moffat, who was wearing a distinctive red jacket,  was caught on CCTV footage, pulling out a lighter and setting the sleeping bag alight, before walking away.

Prosecutor Liam Ewing said: “This took place at a set of steps at the main entrance to the Lodging House Mission.

“Around 10.30pm Mr Vilkins arrived with the intention of sleeping there for the night. He lay in his sleeping bag with the hood partially covering his head – and fell asleep.”

READ MORE: Coronavirus LIVE: 430 more cases as Scotland hits 1993 - with 60 deaths confirmed

The court heard that around 1.56am Mr Vilkins was woken by heat, fumes and smoke coming from the bottom of his sleeping bag.

He realised his sleeping bag was on fire and managed to unzip it, scramble out and then beat out the fire with his arms.

Mr Ewing added: “There were no flames, only smoke. After putting out the fire Mr Vilkins went back to sleep.”

Later that morning he told staff at the Mission what had happened and showed them the damaged sleeping bag. They contacted the police.

Police viewed video footage of the incident at the Mission and then  left and as they walked along East Campbell Street spotted Moffat, who was still wearing the red jacket.

READ MORE: Detectives launch probe after car is deliberately set on fire in Pollokshields

He was searched and had six lighters in his inside jacket pocket.

The CCTV footage was not shown in court, but Mr Ewing said: “The accused stops next to Mr Vilkins and puts his hand inside his jacket and then walks away,

“He then turns back towards Mr Vilkins, who is sleeping. A naked flame is seen in the right hand of the accused. He then bends down towards where Mr Vilkins is lying and remains in this position for 10 seconds.

“The accused then steps back and walks away from Mr Vilkins.”

Defence counsel Sarah Livingstone said: “Mr Moffat, who is also homeless, has a history of schizophrenia.

“He was examined by a psychiatrist who said he was fit to plead and that he was not unfit at the time of the offence. However, his behaviour on the CCTV footage is odd.

“There was no injury to the complainer in this incident.”

Judge Lord Matthews deferred sentence on Moffat for a background report and told him: “In view of the current emergency this will be adjourned until May 26.

"If we are still in lockdown it may have to be adjourned further..”