A BIN caught fire in the centre of an East Renfrewshire town this afternoon. 

Emergency crews rushed to deal with the blaze in Barrhead when the refuse was set alight at around 2.30pm. 

Two engines were sent to the town's Main Street and it is understood the fire started in flats above Macphees Sandwich Bar. 

READ MORE: Glasgow cops release image of man as they probe Lancefield Quay assault

There were no casualties and crews left the scene shortly after they put out the blaze. 

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We were alerted at 2.31pm on Monday, August 3 to reports of refuse on fire in Barrhead.

READ MORE: Want to tell your story in your own words? Get involved in the People of Glasgow

"Operations Control mobilised two appliances to the town's Main Street, where firefighters extinguished the fire.

"There were no casualties and crews left the scene after working to make the area safe."