Self-isolating Aberdeen players have "unreservedly" apologised for visiting a city centre bar despite Government restrictions after their actions led to the postponement of a match with St Johnstone. 

Two stars of Aberdeen FC tested positive for coronavirus with a further six forced to self-isolate following the visit to the busy bar after their defeat by Rangers last weekend. 

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon warned the players their "unacceptable" actions "put at risk the return of the game". 

The players have now released a joint apology which reads: "First and foremost we would like to apologise to every AFC fan, the manager, everyone at the Club, the football authorities, the First Minister, all healthcare workers along with everyone else that has worked tirelessly around the clock to get the country, and in particular football, back up and running again."

"We, as a small group of players, made a huge error of judgement last weekend by thinking it was ok to visit a city centre venue together."

The identities of the eight self-isolating players have now been confirmed as Jonny Hayes, Mikey Devlin, Scott McKenna, Matty Kennedy, Sam Cosgrove, Dylan McGeouch, Craig Bryson and Bruce Anderson. 

Their statement continues: "None of us could have foreseen the escalation of Covid-19 cases in the Grampian area, nor did we deliberately attempt to flout or disobey Government guidelines which we all must adhere to, or indeed the clear guidelines set out by the club.

"This was by no means a team night out as has been portrayed and while we attempted to comply with Government social distancing guidelines, we now recognise that our group of 8 exceeded the number of households permitted to meet up.

"This was a genuine error on our part as professional football players, and in doing so, we have let our manager down.

"As players we appreciate our Club has gone above and beyond to put protocols in place to protect us and it was never our intention to put those in jeopardy, or to put our teammates or football staff at risk.

"As a player group, we once again apologise unreservedly to the fans, the manager, the Board and all the staff at the Club."

A further 39 Covid cases were confirmed in NHS Grampian in the past 24-hours as Aberdeen faces its first weekend back in lockdown.