A discarded cigarette is thought to be the reason behind an evacuation at Glasgow's superhospital this morning. 

Patients and staff were directed to the Queen Elizabeth University car park at around 9.20am as four fire appliances and police were deployed to the scene. 

Scottish Fire and Rescue have confirmed a "small" exterior fire was extinguished prior to their arrival. 

Glasgow QUEH evacuated after suspected fire on ground floor prompting emergency response.

Posted by Glasgow Times on Wednesday, 16 September 2020

One eyewitness told the Glasgow Times an area between the main entrance and the children's hospital was been cordoned off.

She said: "As I was walking from the multistorey to the main entrance, I saw about half a dozen fire engines along the bus stops," they said. "The firefighters were telling everyone to get back and had cordoned off an area between the main entrance and the children's hospital. 

"A couple of them were standing pointing to the roof. 

"There were loads of patients, like me, who were wondering what would happen to our appointments, but they wouldn't give us any information. 

"A nurse told me they thought it was a small fire."

Glasgow Times:

NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde have said the fire was "likely" to have been sparked by a discarded cigarette.

A spokeswoman said: “This morning at around 9.20am, our security teams provided an immediate response to a fire alarm at the QEUH and extinguished a small fire outside of the main building.

“The fire was accidental and likely caused by an inappropriately discarded cigarette.

“Thanks to our established fire safety protocols and the quick response of our team, there were no injuries and the fire was quickly extinguished.

“While the fire service completes necessary follow-up assessments and safety checks, a number of patients and staff have been temporarily evacuated from the building.”

Glasgow Times:

There are no reported casualties as a result of the fire. 

A Scottish Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "We were alerted at 9.22am on Wednesday, September 16 to reports of a fire at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital in Glasgow.

"Operations Control mobilised four appliances to the scene, where the small external fire at the ground floor had been extinguished prior to the arrival of firefighters.

"Crews currently remain on the scene checking for any hidden hotspots.

"There are no reported casualties."