A MAN has burned to death after apparently attempting to petrol bomb a house in Greenock and accidentally setting himself alight.

His movements were captured on a CCTV camera at the property in Union Street late on Monday night.

Footage showed him stumbling around the back of the property while carrying what appears to be a filled watering can.

Pools of liquid appear on the ground before the man stands at the entrance of the back close.

Glasgow Times:

The footage then suddenly glows bright white as the man is engulfed in flames.

The Telegraph understands the man who died at the scene was 46-year-old George Miller of Greenock.

Fire engines and the police attended at the scene just after 10.30pm.

READ MORE: Fresh row amid job cut plans at Glasgow Airport hotel

In the aftermath of the horrific blaze, police tape was placed around the front of the property as a tent was erected in the garden.

Officers stood guard at the scene yesterday morning.

Glasgow Times:

A Police Scotland spokesperson said: "Police were called around 10.35pm on September 14, following the report of a fire at a property in Union Street, Greenock.

"Emergency services attended and a 46-year-old man was pronounced dead at the scene.

"Enquiries continue - however, at this time, the death is not believed to be suspicious and officers are not looking for anyone else in connection with this."

A spokesperson for Scottish Fire & Rescue confirmed that they had been alerted to a fire at a ground floor flat in Greenock at 10.20pm on Monday and that three appliances attended.

Glasgow Times:

The attack on the property follows a petrol bomb murder bid at a property on the same part of Union Street earlier this year.

Back in July, Drew Darling was said to have hurled burning Molotov cocktails at a property in the same street.

Prosecutors said that he set fire to cloth within glass bottles containing an accelerant to the danger of a man and woman within the property.

The charge alleged that Darling ‘did attempt to murder them’.