DOG walkers are being warned of dangers in Cathkin Braes, after a beloved pet lost her life after consuming poison in the country park. 

Toffee, a 6-year-old English setter, passed away after vets confirmed that she had ingested poison while walking in the South Side park.

Dog walking group The Dog Sitters Club frequently looked after Toffee and said: "She was in the park on Friday with her dad and Toffee is a working dog so she is often let off of the leash to roam about and run in the Braes. 

READ MORE: Dad warns against soft play centres after daughter covered by incurable skin rash

"When they got home, Toffee took unwell and was taken to hospital. She eventually bled out and the hospital confirmed that the cause of death was from poison."

Glasgow Times:

The group say that there have been reports of dangerous items such as nails and laced biscuits in the park over the past few weeks. 

They said: "We don't tend to use the park to walk the dogs in our care, but we know that for Toffee's dad it was his local park. 

"There will be so many dog walkers in the area, and we just want to warn people about the dangers of walking their dog in the park.

READ MORE: Blairdardie Primary: Fury as hammer-wielding youths wreck pitch

"It's heartbreaking to us that anyone would want to purposefully harm any animal like this."

Glasgow Times:

Reports have been made to SSPCA regarding the items found in the park. 

Scottish SPCA inspector Robertson said: "We have been investigating reports of harmful substances being left in Cathkin Braes Country Park.

"We have since heard that a dog has passed away from ingesting something toxic. We are very sorry to hear this and our thoughts are with the owner at this time. 

"The effects of using poison, or any dangerous item, deliberately against animals is a crime and is enforceable by law."

"We would ask all pet owners be vigilant. Unfortunately, there are people who want to cause harm to animals through ingesting poison or harmful substances. 

"If anyone has any information about this case or that toxic substances are being deliberately used against animals, then we would urge them to contact our confidential animal helpline on 03000 999 999."