THE MP for Rutherglen broke coronavirus rules by travelling back from London after testing positive. 

Margaret Ferrier revealed in a statement posted to Facebook that she experienced mild coronavirus symptoms and booked herself a test on Saturday. 

She travelled to Westminster by train on Monday, saying she felt "much better". That evening she was informed that she had tested positive for coronavirus. 

READ MORE: Glasgow McDonalds employee tests positive for coronavirus

The following day she left London, again by train to go home. 

She has apologised for the breach and said she has contacted health authorities to identify anyone she may have infected in travelling to and from London and attending Parliament. 

She attended the General Covid-19 debate in Parliament on Monday. 

Opening her speech on the economic impact of the furlough scheme ending, she said: "I start by paying tribute to all NHS key workers and volunteers in my constituency for their care and commitment over the past seven months."

A tweet posted from the twitter account from police in East Kilbride, Rutherglen and Cambuslang, dated September 29 appears to show Ms Ferrier meeting with local cops on Tuesday, when she should have been self-isolating. 

Glasgow Times:

READ MORE: Watch hilarious moment ScotRail ruins views of anticipated Harry Potter train in Clydebank

Ms Ferrier's office has been contacted for comment. 

She said "Despite feeling well, I should have self-isolated while waiting for my test result and I deeply regret my actions."

The SNP representative for Rutherglen and Hamilton West claims she is now self-isolating. 

She was one of a number of MPs to call for Dominic Cummings to resign after it emerged that the Prime Minister's special advisor had broken lockdown rules by travelling to his parents' home after testing positive for coronavirus. 

READ MORE: Pupils at South Side school self-isolating after testing positive for coronavirus

The SNP has been approached for comment.  

A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: "We are aware of the circumstances and are liaising with our colleagues in the Metropolitan Police Service.”