A young dog developed sepsis after ingesting a toxic substance while on a walk at a popular beauty spot. 

The owners, who run a dog walking business named Lead the Way, issued a warning to fellow dog owners after the puppy ended up seriously ill. 

Alaskan Malamute Nova became ill after a walk Earnock Nature Trail near Hamilton.

Nova spent days receiving treatment and thanks to the quick reaction of her owners, she is on the mend. 

Her owners issued a warning on the Lead the Way Facebook page explaining that the pet had been "close to death if not for quick responses". 

READ MORE: Charity run in honour of murder victim Moira Jones to go virtual

"This post isn’t for sympathy but more for awareness to everyone with a dog.

"You never know what’s on the ground and our dogs are so curious they just nibble or eat whatever smells tasty.

"We are very vigilant with Nova as she’s so young and although she’s spent days with the vets we have no idea what caused her condition."

It added: "I’m just asking you be aware of your dog’s surroundings and not end up in our shoes.

"Thankfully due to lots of care and attention from the vets, help and support from close friends Nova is now back home with us and on the mend."