POLICE and fire have launched a joint investigation into a blaze which wrecked a house in the city’s South Side. 

Firefighters worked through the night in the early hours of Wednesday to tackle flames that stemmed from the top floor of a property on St Andrew’s Drive in Pollokshields - with at least three fire engines needed to contain the blaze. 

They left the scene at 8.35am after working on the fire for more than seven hours before confirming there were no casualties.  

Glasgow Times:

READ MORE: Glasgow: Fire crews tackle blaze in St Andrew's Street

The Glasgow Times understands the house had recently been purchased by new owners who were not inside at the time of the incident. 

A resident in the area claimed the blaze had been sparked by wilful fire-raisers after breaking into the empty home - but Police Scotland would not provide further comment on the nature of the investigation.

Glasgow Times:

The local said: “We saw turfs of smoke from our living room window so came outside to see what was going on and the was the house, up in flames. The whole of the top floor was on fire.

“We’ve heard locally that the property was broken into from the back and that it was deliberately set alight. We also know that there is work currently getting done to the house and that it has a limited electricity supply.

“We’re very concerned that this is becoming an ongoing issue within the area and we hope that police recognise this issue.”

Glasgow Times:

The blaze comes just three days after fire crews were called to St Andrew's Road to extinguish a fire that developed inside a business unit.

Elsewhere in Pollokshields in April, firefighters also tackled a blaze that tore through a tenement building on Kenmure Street. There is no suggestion that the fires are linked. 

Police Scotland has confirmed it is now working alongside Scottish Fire and rescue to establish the circumstances surrounding the blaze at the Pollokshields house. 

Glasgow Times:

A spokeswoman said: “Around 1.30 am on Wednesday, November 25, we received a report of a fire at a premises on St Andrews Drive, Glasgow.

“Emergency services attended and extinguished the fire. No-one was injured.

“A joint investigation is ongoing to establish the cause of the fire.”