AN archaeological dig is planned to uncover the site of the original Hampden Stadium.

The Hampden Collection have partnered with Archaeology Scotland to excavate parts of the Crosshill site where it is believed the first stadium once stood.

Now home to Hampden Bowling Club, the site is thought to be home to the world-first stadium, most famous as the surroundings where Scotland beat England 5-1 in 1882.

The Hampden Society believe the site is key to the history of football and Archaeology Scotland believe that many of the familiar features of football stadiums world over.

Paul Murtagh, a senior project officer with the organisation, said: “We’re going to dig down, do an excavation and do proper archaeology and look at any of the artefacts associated with the old stadium.

“It’s the most significant footballing site in the world. Every stadium after this basically copied it.

“Turnstiles, embankment standing, season tickets all started at the first Hampden.

“It’s not only a key part of footballing history but of Scottish history.”

Graeme Brown is a member of the bowling club’s committee and is involved in efforts to promote and explore the heritage of the historic site.

He said: “This project is part of our flagship Restore the First Hampden programme, which we initiated once we proved the site in 2017. First Hampden is one of the secrets of the sporting world, and our partnership with Archaeology Scotland is a key step in ensuring everyone understands the importance of this site.

“We need to preserve First Hampden for future generations to enjoy. This site is where the modern passing game was created and set the template for every football stadium every built. We are extremely excited to partner with Archaelogy Scotland to unearth more exciting facts and learn more about the site underneath our feet, and more importantly, with the community engaged to help.”

The dig - funded by Historic Environment Scotland - is hoped to take place in the summer of next year, with members of the public invited to join professional archaeologists in the excavation.

Archaeologists hope to excavate parts of the current rose garden at the bowling club as well as another site close to the skatepark in Queen’s Park

The first Hampden Park was opened in 1873 and was home to Queens Park FC and the Scotland National football team until 1884, when it was closed due to the building of the Cathcart Circle Railway line.

The current home of the Hampden Bowling Club, the heritage group unveiled a mural paying tribute to Scotland’s first black player and the legendary captain who led them to victory against England in 1881. It remains one of their biggest ever defeats.

The mural was vandalised before lockdown this year but was restored to its full glory after a successful crowdfunder.

Archaeology Scotland is opening up the project to the public as part of its New Audience project, which aims to include people not normally involved with history and heritage projects, with a specific focus on giving access to immigrants and refugees.