DETECTIVES have today made a fresh appeal for information on the murders of six members of the Doyle family almost 37 years ago.

The Doyles were innocent victims of a violent turf war involving organised crime figures seeking to control the lucrative ice cream van trade operating in Glasgow's sprawling housing estates.

Their home in Bankend Street, Ruchazie was set on fire with petrol in the early hours of April 16, 1984, as they slept inside.

The tragic victims were Andrew Doyle, 18, his father James Doyle, 53, sister Christina Halleron, 25, her 18-month-old son Mark and two brothers James, 23, and 14 year old Tony.

READ MORE: Glasgow Ice Cream War: The firebomb attack on the Doyle family

Glasgow Times:

Later that year at the High Court in Glasgow, Thomas Campbell, 31, and Joseph Steele, 22, were sentenced to life for the murders.

However both men protested their innocence and claimed they were victims of a miscarriage of justice.

Glasgow Times:

After a 20 year campaign Campbell, above, and Steele had their convictions overturned and they were set free.

Police Scotland say they are still committed to putting those responsible behind bars and will consider any fresh evidence supplied to them.

Detective Superintendent Suzie Chow added:"Thomas Campbell and Joseph Steele were convicted of the murder of six members of the Doyle family in 1984.

"In 2004, following a lengthy appeals process, their convictions were quashed.

"The murder enquiry remains an unresolved case for Police Scotland, and any new information which may come to light will always be thoroughly investigated.

"Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101.”

Glasgow Times:

READ MORE: Glasgow Ice Cream War: The firebomb attack on the Doyle family

The murders of the Doyle family were part of what became known as the Glasgow Ice Cream Wars.

Criminals who vied to take over the ice cream runs from legitimate traders were also using the vans to sell drugs and stolen goods.

Law abiding Andrew Doyle had his own ice cream van operation in the city's East End but had refused to bow to intimidation.

In late February 1984, shots were fired through the windscreen of his vehicle while he was with a terrified 15 year old girl assistant.

Glasgow Times:

Seven weeks later a mystery man set fire to an outside store cupboard of the Doyle family home around 2am.

Within minutes the blaze had spread through the flat and of the nine people sleeping inside, only three survived.

Glasgow Times:

Andrew and Daniel Doyle.

Glasgow Times:

Doyle family funeral

After his conviction Campbell staged a series of high profile hunger strikes to publicise his case.

While Steele escaped three times from prison custody and once superglued himself to the railings at Buckingham Palace.

Both men claimed that a key witnesses William Love had lied at their trial and the police had also fabricated evidence.

Glasgow Times:

Campbell was later awarded £1.2 million over the miscarriage of justice and died aged 66 in 2019 at his home near Dunoon, Argyll from natural causes.

Glasgow Times:

Steele, who lives in Garthamlock, in the East End of Glasgow was reportedly awarded £750,000.

Retired detective Les Trueman was part of a five man team based at Easterhouse Police Station who investigated the attacks on ice cream vans and their owners including Andrew Doyle.

Les was one also of the first police officers at the scene of the fire and helped a badly burned Andrew into an ambulance.

However the teenage died four days later in hospital after his condition deteriorated.

The only survivors were Andrew's mother Lillian, 51, and his two brothers Steven, 22, and Daniel, 28.

Les welcomed news that Police Scotland were still investigating the six deaths.

He added:"Hopefully despite the passage of time the people who carried out this terrible crime can finally be brought to justice."